Wiring HELP Honeywell THX9231 - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 109

Wiring HELP Honeywell THX9231

Hi, I'm wondering if someone could help me with wiring. I'm replacing a PRO1iaq model T855 with a Honeywell Prestige 2.0 THX9321. I have two wires. One wire has 5 wires being used W,G,Y,R,B, the second wire has just the G,W wires being used and they are connected to the O and C on the block. I have a single oile/boiler hydro air handler, and an air conditioner wired to this thermostat. Please advise as the Honeywell blocks look a bit different.
See photo for current wiring, and the Honey well connections I need to transfer to.
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring HELP Honeywell THX9231-20140404_153305.jpg   Wiring HELP Honeywell THX9231-20140404_153316.jpg  

Advertisement

CTgarret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,772

Would need to know what the blue wire on B connects to.

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Would need to know what the blue wire on B connects to.
The existing thermostat instructions list "B" as energized heating.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTgarret View Post
The existing thermostat instructions list "B" as energized heating.
And you also have a W/E, that energizes heating. So need to know what the Blue wire is connected to at the equipment.

Normally, the B terminal is used on a heat pump that has a reversing valve that is energized in heating mode. The O terminal is normally used on heat pumps that have a reversing valve that is energized in cooling mode. But both are not used on the same heat pump.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
And you also have a W/E, that energizes heating. So need to know what the Blue wire is connected to at the equipment.

Normally, the B terminal is used on a heat pump that has a reversing valve that is energized in heating mode. The O terminal is normally used on heat pumps that have a reversing valve that is energized in cooling mode. But both are not used on the same heat pump.
The blue wire connects to B1 in the "control" section at the equipment connections (see photo). I just remembered that there is a whole house humidifier that is no longer in use. Could this be the wires that control that?
Thanks a lot for the help. It's much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring HELP Honeywell THX9231-image.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Ah, you have a Troltemp zone panel. It needs special wiring to work right, as the Master thermostat is controlling whether the other stats get heat or cooling when they call for it.

I'm not sure that IAQ will work for you. Since when you set the current thermostat to heat, the B is energized whether it needs heating or not in that zone. In cooling, the O is energized whether or not its calling for cooling.

You have an outdated zone panel.
hvactech126 (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Ah, you have a Troltemp zone panel. It needs special wiring to work right, as the Master thermostat is controlling whether the other stats get heat or cooling when they call for it.

I'm not sure that IAQ will work for you. Since when you set the current thermostat to heat, the B is energized whether it needs heating or not in that zone. In cooling, the O is energized whether or not its calling for cooling.

You have an outdated zone panel.
The current thermostat is fairly new. Is there something about that thermostat that allows it to work, or does it not work properly either with the i troltemp either?
I was trying to avoid getting a new IAQ, but I could get the new Honeywell if needed.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Your current thermostat energizes the O as soon as you turn it to cool mode. And energizes teh B terminal as soon as you set it to heat mode. Which is what your zone panel needs, so it works fine. Thermostats that have a combination O/B terminal can't do this.

Whihe Rodgers has other high end digital thermostats similar to the IAQ that will do this though. Not sure of which models though.
CTgarret (04-05-2014), hvactech126 (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #9

Ok. Thanks for the info. I'll probably end up swapping out the Troletemp and get up to date. Bummer....more work to do! Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

You welcome.

Advertisement