Wiring Duct Fan To Goodman Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring duct fan to Goodman unit

I'm working on a remodel which has forced me to redo some ductwork. The old duct was down in a soffit and not very accessible so the way I had to add on wasn't ideal and doesn't carry much air. I want to add a duct fan to the new duct to pull more air through.

I want to wire this fan directly to the unit so that it comes on and off when the unit does - both heat and A/C. I've got an 11 year old Goodman GMP100-5 unit. I've found the manual online and confirmed that it has an EAC switch which carries 115 VAC that is powered in both the heating and AC modes. The manual gives no further information about how many amps or anything else that can be powered by this terminal.

The fan I've bought is a Tjernlund EF-8 - it is 120 V, 56 watts and 1.1 amps. The fan will be located about 15 feed from the unit. Is there anyway to know whether or not the power off of the unit is sufficient to power this fan?

I plan on putting a solid state fan control inline as well just in case the fan pulls too much air, I can dial it back.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

GDNTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,560

EAC. Won't handle that load. 1 amp max.

Use a sail switch. Install it in the return plenum..

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the quick reply - They make a smaller fan a 6" which is rated at 30 watts and .4 amps. I figure this would work as well (I don't need a lot of air) and I'd really like to have it wired in vs trying to get access into the return air to and wire in a sail switch. Maybe I'm being hard headed, but if I went with the smaller fan and wired it to the board are there any real drawbacks to doing it this way?
GDNTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,560

Probably won't get enough air flow with the smaller fan.

The EAC is not designed with an induction load in mind. motors are induction loads. And on start up can draw 10 times as muc as their amp rating is. And often more the 10 times.

Your call. It might hold up.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote