Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Wiring for a DiversiTech 370V capacitor

I just replaced a condenser fan motor in a York air conditioning unit. My capacitor appears to be bad (bulging top), so we got a new capacitor with the motor. The old capacitor had three terminals that were wired as follows: purple and red on one terminal (which has 4 leads). Brown on another terminal (which has a single lead). Two yellows on the third terminal (which has three leads). The brown and purple go to the fan motor. The new capacitor only has two terminals with 4 leads each.

The new motor has brown, black, red, purple and green wires. How should this be wired into the new capacitor?

Thanks in advance.

gfiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiance View Post
I just replaced a condenser fan motor in a York air conditioning unit. My capacitor appears to be bad (bulging top), so we got a new capacitor with the motor. The old capacitor had three terminals that were wired as follows: purple and red on one terminal (which has 4 leads). Brown on another terminal (which has a single lead). Two yellows on the third terminal (which has three leads). The brown and purple go to the fan motor. The new capacitor only has two terminals with 4 leads each.

The new motor has brown, black, red, purple and green wires. How should this be wired into the new capacitor?

Thanks in advance.
you need a dual capacitor... look at instruction for motor you picked up.should explain that.......never remove any wire from terminal till you know where it going...great advice for all of us.....

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
If it's free...It's me

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
you need a dual capacitor... look at instruction for motor you picked up.should explain that.......never remove any wire from terminal till you know where it going...great advice for all of us.....
Not to insult your intelligence...dual capacitor has three terminals. I would also venture to guess that the capacitor, not the fan motor, may have been your original problem.
Johnny'sHotDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny'sHotDogs View Post
Not to insult your intelligence...dual capacitor has three terminals. I would also venture to guess that the capacitor, not the fan motor, may have been your original problem.
before you make a comment READ the post carefully...his capacitor is bulging...1st sign its bad.... he ordered a new motor that came with a capacitor....single.....his old one is a dual capacitor.which he still needs to start compressor and fan motor...not to insult your intelligence
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
If it's free...It's me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
before you make a comment READ the post carefully...his capacitor is bulging...1st sign its bad.... he ordered a new motor that came with a capacitor....single.....his old one is a dual capacitor.which he still needs to start compressor and fan motor...not to insult your intelligence
My comment was for clarification to the original poster gfiance who may not have known the difference between single and dual cap. And if the cap was bad the motor may have been OK.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny'sHotDogs For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

So based on this, do I need to replace the capacitor with a dual capacitor? It appears that the compressor is working, but the fan motor is not. If I reach in and spin the fan blades with something, after a few spins it will kick on and start to spin. But the capacitor doesn't seem to be putting out enough power to start the fan on its own.
gfiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
If it's free...It's me

Yes...

If you still have the swollen one it should have a rating on it. If not, get the make and model of the AC unit. Take one or the other or both if you have them to the AC parts supply and tell them that is what you need. The top of the cap will be stamped with FAN and HERM. It may be round or oval.

Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny'sHotDogs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,714

Get a new dual capacitor that matches the current ones higher rating and also matches the new fan motors rating. It won't belong before that old cap goes out teh rest of the way, and your compressor stops running too.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:

Tags
condensor fan hvac, hvac