Wiring American Standard Comfort R To Carrier Two Stage AC? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring American Standard Comfort R to Carrier two stage AC?

Hey all,

Recently had a new Carrier Performance two stage AC unit put in to replace an old Payne (made it 26 years!). It's connected to an American Standard Comfort R (two stage) furnace, with a Honeywell HZ322 zone controller in front of it all connected to Vision Pro t-stats.

The installers, pretty much only familiar with Carrier stuff, weren't sure how to wire the two stage to the AS board. They even said, "we're not sure and making a guess." Just like to make sure they did it right and the two stage AC is working like it should.

This is how they wired it:

HZ322 -> AS Comfort-R
Y1 -> YLO, Y2 -> Y

AS Comfort-R -> Carrier Performance AC
YLO -> Y1, Y -> Y2 (and B/C to common)

The furnace air handler *is* ramping up from its stage 1 to stage 2. It does appear to be following the Honeywell timer, it tracks with the amount it's set to.

Does that seem right? I honestly can't tell by listening to the compressor inside the Carrier to know if it's switching stages. Some say it should sound more "guttural" when running at full capacity. My understanding is its fan stays at a constant speed regardless of which stage it is in.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

eelpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,776

Does the air get warmer when the blower ramps up. If not, then the condenser is going to second stage as it should.

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

clarification: two stage a/c means two stage compressor meaning two compressors outside in the condenser, not to be confused with blower fan.

Blower fan is indoors, what circulates air.

the purpose of two stage cooling is not truly "cooling" yet dehumidification, the "cleanliness", "crispness" of air. In stupid terms, dry air is the goal.

Unless you have a matching indoor blower motor, be it modulating or variable speed, the indoor blower is set on a timer of which can be changed/set to run on slow speed (dehumidification) and then full speed to satisfy set point, regardless two stage or not.

Second stage cooling (full capacity refrigerant) in all honesty should never enable/engage due to dehumidification first and foremost unless in extreme conditions.

You did not need two stage cooling, you needed a variable speed BLOWER motor.

As a matter of fact you do not truly have two stage cooling unless you have a variable speed indoor blower. If not, you simply have half capacity and full capability.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
clarification: two stage a/c means two stage compressor meaning two compressors outside in the condenser, not to be confused with blower fan.

2 stage doesn't mean 2 compressors. Trane and Rheem both have a 2 compressor model. Carrier, York, Lennox all use just 1 compressor in their 2 stage A/C and heat pumps.

Blower fan is indoors, what circulates air.

the purpose of two stage cooling is not truly "cooling" yet dehumidification, the "cleanliness", "crispness" of air. In stupid terms, dry air is the goal.

Unless you have a matching indoor blower motor, be it modulating or variable speed, the indoor blower is set on a timer of which can be changed/set to run on slow speed (dehumidification) and then full speed to satisfy set point, regardless two stage or not.

Second stage cooling (full capacity refrigerant) in all honesty should never enable/engage due to dehumidification first and foremost unless in extreme conditions.

You did not need two stage cooling, you needed a variable speed BLOWER motor.

As a matter of fact you do not truly have two stage cooling unless you have a variable speed indoor blower. If not, you simply have half capacity and full capability.
Even if its a PSC blower. If you have a 2 stage condenser, you have 2 stage cooling.

I work on RTUs with single speed blowers and 4 stages of cooling. The blower doesn't determine if its a stage cooling system or not.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #5

well, whether I need 2 stage or not, I have one now.

It was explained to me that my Carrier has a single compressor unit, with two modes. The first stage running at a reduced rate.

As for what stage is engaged due to wiring, which prompted the original post, I stood outside with a stopwatch, with the controller timer set to 5 minutes. At around that time outside I could here a slight change in the sound of the compressor, which became a little more prominent. So I'm pretty sure it's wired correctly.

I live in CA so there is no humidifier attached.

I currently have the system set to 10 minutes, so both the air handler and AC are running only their first stage and this handles the majority of set point calls so far. Which is nice.

I'd like to have the 2nd stage dictated by the thermostats but I discovered that whoever ran the wiring upstairs in the 80's apparently only pulled a 2-pair cable so Y2 and even the fan (G) aren't connected. Even though there is 4-pair wiring at the thermostat, there looks like there is another cable spliced in-between for the long-run with lots of electrical tape. Going to investigate later on.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Get an Edge thermostat. It uses an EIM, so you only need 2 wires to the thermostat. All the other wires connect to the EIM, which you can put at your air handler.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Get an Edge thermostat. It uses an EIM, so you only need 2 wires to the thermostat. All the other wires connect to the EIM, which you can put at your air handler.
Have Vision Pro's already, it's the newer 8000 model, which does wireless (I already have the RedLink gateway). I know that there is a 4-wire solution for the Honeywell (THP9045) but I believe it doesn't address Y2, just G & Y.

I'll look into the TrueZone wireless option (THM4000), it's around $50, but something bugs me a bit about not having *any* wires involved for thermostat control.

First though I'll check to see what is really going with the wiring and unwrap all the electrical tape. Clearly, some of the wire pairs I can see have been wrapped outside of that mess.

Advertisement

Tags
american standard , carrier