Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

wiring

i just moved into a home and the previous home owners did not label the wires when they took their thermostat. i have a green, white, yellow, pink, orange, and a light blue wire. i know nothing about this stuff and I bought a Hunter 44155c and cant figure it out. PLEASE HELP I.M IN TX AND ITS HOOOOOTTTTT

jazzyjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

wiring

You cannot just hook up wires according to color...too many people just use whatever color is handy. You need to hook up the wires on the thermostat exactly how the thermostat wires are wired on your furnace control board. (Assuming your furnace / blower unit is not an old relic without a control board in itand is a statndard gas heat with AC.)
Whatever the color of wire, here is generally what you need.
Terminal R at the furnace control board gets connected to Rc/Rh on the tstat.(24 volt power)
Terminal W to W on the stat.(Heat)
G to G(Fan or Blower control)
Y to Y (Air conditioning terminal)(Onr wire comes from the thermostat and another will go out to the outdoor ac unit)
C (The second wire from the outdoor ac unit will be hooked to this terminal)
Make sure ya shut off power to the furnace when you are doing this or you may short out the transformer. Again, just make sure the wire colors on your board are the same wire colors on your tstat. Hope this helps.

statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

wiring

Did you know they were taking the T-stat? I would have had them replace it with another if it ment that much to them.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote