Wires On Fire II - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Wires on Fire II

Most of the electrical problems are solved. 2 out the three A/C units are functioning properly. The breaker for one of the units still gets hot, 110F. After checking all my previous wiring diagrams(from physical location), it looks like that one was grossly miswired from the beginning. As I replaced components I followed the schematic, not the original wiring config. All units are R-22, and one needs a evaporator and to be fully recharged (5 ton). Current draw the functional 5 ton unit is 27-28Amps.
1. Do you have experience of a breaker running hot after a bad "load"?
2. The cooling fan is rated for 2.2amps, its drawing .5-.7amps, the cap seems good, rpms seem ok, air flow seems good,(no rpm meter on hand).
Is this too low or OK?
3.I've seen the delightful EPA is heavily taxing R-22 , should I just repalece the unit with no freon?

Advertisement

jb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Wires on Fire II

What's the recommended hp (horse power) and rpm for the condenser fan motor and what is actually on it? is the capacitor for the fan the correct size?

Check the data sticker on the condenser and then the data sticker on the fan itself. The fan sticker will have the capacitor size as well for the fan.

What's a bad load?

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Wires on Fire II

Hi Doc,
I don't know the spec for rpm, the name plates on the motors (2 identical condensor units side by side) but grainger cros ref. is the Dayton 4M205J and its rpm is 1075. Old motors off the cond. units 1/4 HP FLA 2.2. Both Dual caps (one on each unit) match each other and the parts list I got from the internet, 80/7.5 mfd. My concern is the low current draw, not necessarily the rpms, unless you tell me different.
The bad load was that it was originally wired wrong (before I touched it) and was drawing about 34 amps. Outside temps lately over 90F, so even a small amount of internal heating in the breaker can raise it over the 104F spec. Of course I can just change it, but I was asking if you've come across this.
Thanks,
jb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Wires on Fire II

Nope, I have never come across it but I can suspect the motor and the cap to be wrong.