Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Share |

Which wires do I unplug on thermostat to disable electric heat strips?

I have a Lennox 3.5 ton Heat Pump with Honeywell TH3210D1004 thermostat, 2 heat / 1 cool with 10 KwH heat strip in 2500 sq ft house

I want to disable the heat strips because I live in North Carolina and think the heat pump can keep up fine with the house by itself.
I set the temperature to 61 when sleeping, and 66 when I'm home.
I'm ok with it taking longer to heatup the 5 degrees with just the heat pump because it's still more efficient than the heat strips kicking in to speed up the heating.

1. Which wires do I remove in the picture? The jumper that connects E to Aux, the E wire, and the wire going to aux?

2. If I do that, will it still go into aux for defrost mode?

3. Do I want higher or lower # of cycles per hour in order to save money/energy use for the aux/emergency heat setting? Or does it not matter because the COP is 1.0 regardless. I have Cycles set to 3 for compressor

Thank you very much in advance

mordak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You would be better to get rid of that thermostat and get one that will properly work with your unit, and allow better setting of when it may or may not need the heat strips.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You would be better to get rid of that thermostat and get one that will properly work with your unit, and allow better setting of when it may or may not need the heat strips.
Any suggestions for 1 thats under $90-100?

In the meantime though, any idea on my other questions?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

There are plenty of Honeywell's around that range. But if you really want a thermostat that can be tweaked better, you are going to have to spend more than $100.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #5

I disconnected the white wire in the picture that goes to Aux, and left the jumper between Aux/E connected.

It's 42 degrees outside, thermostat is reading 65, I bumped it up to 68.

The system has been running for 2.5 hours currently and the thermostat is still reading 65.

The air from my register is coming out at 88.5 degrees with no heat strips

Is that normal without heat strips?

I'm ok if it takes longer to heatup with just the heatpump because it's more cost friendly than using the heat strips

Last edited by mordak; 11-03-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

It really depends on how efficient the furnace and heat pump are.