Wireless Thermostat Question - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 508

wireless thermostat question

I just had an ADT Pulse system installed in my house and decided not to add the thermostat they offer since it was pretty expensive. The guy told me I can buy my own and do the same thing but probably not through the ADT system which is fine with me. A while back I bought a programmable one to replace my current pretty old looking one that even has mercury in it! When I took the old one off the wall and compared the wires to the new one they did not seem to match up. I ended up just returning the new one and keeping the old one up as it was since I had no clue how to replace it at the time. Is it possible for me to install a new one (preferrable wifi enabled through iphone app)? Do I need a professional to do the job? I will include pictures of my old one on the wall and the wires behind it.. No wires seem to be labeled.

Thanks!

wireless thermostat question-image-1905641075.jpg

wireless thermostat question-image-298233727.jpg

wireless thermostat question-image-2873153949.jpg

Advertisement

nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,100

The wires and correct terminals are behind the plate of the 2nd picture. Yes, you can do a wifi capable stat yourself. If you remove the stat in picture 2 from the subbase and take another picture we can recommend a stat for you. It looks like you have a heat pump from what I can tell so far.... A picture of the wiring when exposed will give us more of an exact idea of what type of system you have.

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #3

Don't think we have a heat pump. Just regular old central heat and air. I will get a picture when I can tomorrow after work.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

well, you have a heat pump thermostat.... The way I can tell this is because there is a system setting of emergency heat which is only on Heat pump systems.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #5

I have no idea. All I see is the unit in the back yard lol. I have looked at some wifi thermostats online and it looks like you have to pay to use a smartphone app. Is this the case with all these types of therms?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

no, there are stats that allow free internet and smartphone access.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #7

Can you suggest a brand that offers free smartphone access do I can check them out? That would really save me money both threw my power bill and my security alarm.

Edit: since my current stat has mercury in it, how am I "supposed to" discard it properly? My local dump tells people to basically through everything in the household container unless it's huge or a refrigerator.

Last edited by nikeman; 04-22-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

nikeman, the 3m Filtrete 3m-50 is around $100, and you can either use the normal website for it, or if you have a iPhone, there is the Cloudbeam.com, which used to be OurHomespaces.com, which still comes up. The app is free for that site, but to do some of the other functions, it is a one time fee of very minimal. I use the Cloudbeam site along with the associated app and love it. As for getting rid of the old stat, place in a bad and toss in the trash, or leave it on your workbench until EPA collection time in your area and take it then.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

Looks good! Do you have to be on wifi or can you use 3G or 4g as well? What extra features do you get for the minimal 1 time fee you speak of?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #10

Oops. Didn't think Reply got posted due to an error.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #11

Just a heads up. You can save $10 on this stat online at homedepot.com. Just add it to the cart and then add a $0.12 screw like I did. Brings the price to $90 with free in store pick up. I was just playing around. Use this promo code.

HDSPRING
Old 04-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Looks good! Do you have to be on wifi or can you use 3G or 4g as well? What extra features do you get for the minimal 1 time fee you speak of?
It works on your wifi, the radio to use the cloudbeam website costs an extra $50, the iPhone app to operate the thermostat is $3.00. I kept finding problems with using the Radiothermostatcompanyofamerica website, due to it would be done, the thermostat radio would go offline at odd times, just was not stable. The RTCoA site goes down as much as a Hooker in a Columbian Whore house.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 04-22-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #13

No way Id spend $50 for that then. But even with the iPhone app you have to be on wifi? Doesn't work with 3G at all?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

No, it does not work with 3G cellular networks, unless you are asking if the app can be used on the iPhone while off of a wifi network, which is yes. Yes you can control the thermostat while off of the home wifi network that the thermostat is on.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
AKA HVACTECHFW

Ecobee is free.... Any redlink honeywell thermostat will work on wifi or 3g or 4g with the use of an internet gateway but they get pricey. I was not going to start recommending thermostats until we knew more about your system. Have you exposed the wires and terminals yet on your current stat?

http://www.thermostat-recycle.org

Advertisement