DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wire size for Central Air

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mdshunk 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I am currently working on finishing my basement, and need to make sure i have all the appropiate stuff done, before i install my ceiling.

I would like to know what size of wire I should run for a future central air unit that i will be installing. I know that all depends on how big of an AC unit, but i am not sure about that. Our house is about 1200 sq ft main floor.

I am pretty sure it has to be a 220 run, but not sure on guage of wire. I was thinking 10/3 w/ground, how does that sound?

Thanks!
Mark

#3 ·
You absolutely need the dataplate information off the condensing unit. It will say "miniumum circuit ampacity", which will dictate the wire gauge. It will also say, "maximum fuse or breaker size", which will dictate the maximum size of the overcurrent protection device. Please, do not guess. Get a cut sheet from your vendor. For the indoor unit, get a cut sheet also. It could be anything from 15 amps at 120 volts for an ordinary air handler, all the way up to 100 amps at 240 volts if you have electric heat in that air handler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.