Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Member
 
waterman1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 161
Share |
Default

Window a/c question


Would it be acceptable to remove the temperature activated valve (plug) on the condensate drain pan. Once this has been removed, I will seal it up so the condensate it still contained. This cost of this part is close to the value of the actual unit itself.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 24,513
Default

Window a/c question


And how is it going to drain if you do that?
Sounds like the pan will just fill up and over flow inside.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Member
 
waterman1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 161
Default

Window a/c question


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
And how is it going to drain if you do that?
Sounds like the pan will just fill up and over flow inside.
The condensate is used to cool the coil. It is applied to the coil via cupped fan blades that dip into the pan itself. Fairly common on the newer units.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 90
Default

Window a/c question


Never saw one of those all the ones I have seen are rubber that you can remove to drain it...but they say to leave it in place because as you say it uses the water to throw on the coil.

Only purpose I could see would be to let the unit drain completely when it was very cold and there was a possibility of freezing.
bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Member
 
waterman1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 161
Default

Window a/c question


Quote:
Originally Posted by bill01 View Post
Never saw one of those all the ones I have seen are rubber that you can remove to drain it...but they say to leave it in place because as you say it uses the water to throw on the coil.

Only purpose I could see would be to let the unit drain completely when it was very cold and there was a possibility of freezing.
That is correct.The plug is temperature activated.
This unit has heat so perhaps freezing is a valid concern.

My problem is the plug has failed and the cost of the replacement is excessive.

Perhaps a temporary plug is in order.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 2,139
Default

Window a/c question


Why do you want to remove it?
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Member
 
waterman1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 161
Default

Window a/c question


The plug has failed. I do not want to replace it.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 2,139
Default

Window a/c question


Is this a heat pump or electric resistance? Sorry about the questions.

I would put a temporary plug in there because you want the slinger ring to throw the water against the condenser coil to cool it off. Plus you don't have that dripping all over the place.

I haven't worked with window units in many years so I am a little out of touch with todays technology with small units.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Member
 
waterman1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 161
Default

Window a/c question


Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Is this a heat pump or electric resistance? Sorry about the questions.

I would put a temporary plug in there because you want the slinger ring to throw the water against the condenser coil to cool it off. Plus you don't have that dripping all over the place.

I haven't worked with window units in many years so I am a little out of touch with todays technology with small units.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I plugged the hole, so far so good.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Header question - raising door and window RO enoll Building & Construction 10 05-04-2012 04:39 PM
2x6 window header question MoneyPit3 Building & Construction 12 04-02-2012 02:01 PM
window trim question blackestate Windows and Doors 22 09-21-2011 01:38 PM
Replacement window question on install... tidal9 Carpentry 1 08-16-2011 10:18 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.