DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Window a/c question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/window-c-question-148411/)

waterman1971 06-27-2012 10:38 AM

Window a/c question
 
Would it be acceptable to remove the temperature activated valve (plug) on the condensate drain pan. Once this has been removed, I will seal it up so the condensate it still contained. This cost of this part is close to the value of the actual unit itself.

joecaption 06-27-2012 10:40 AM

And how is it going to drain if you do that?
Sounds like the pan will just fill up and over flow inside.

waterman1971 06-27-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 952582)
And how is it going to drain if you do that?
Sounds like the pan will just fill up and over flow inside.

The condensate is used to cool the coil. It is applied to the coil via cupped fan blades that dip into the pan itself. Fairly common on the newer units.

bill01 06-27-2012 11:31 AM

Never saw one of those all the ones I have seen are rubber that you can remove to drain it...but they say to leave it in place because as you say it uses the water to throw on the coil.

Only purpose I could see would be to let the unit drain completely when it was very cold and there was a possibility of freezing.

waterman1971 06-27-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill01 (Post 952632)
Never saw one of those all the ones I have seen are rubber that you can remove to drain it...but they say to leave it in place because as you say it uses the water to throw on the coil.

Only purpose I could see would be to let the unit drain completely when it was very cold and there was a possibility of freezing.

That is correct.The plug is temperature activated.
This unit has heat so perhaps freezing is a valid concern.

My problem is the plug has failed and the cost of the replacement is excessive.

Perhaps a temporary plug is in order.

COLDIRON 06-28-2012 07:11 AM

Why do you want to remove it?

waterman1971 06-28-2012 08:00 AM

The plug has failed. I do not want to replace it.

COLDIRON 06-28-2012 08:30 AM

Is this a heat pump or electric resistance? Sorry about the questions.

I would put a temporary plug in there because you want the slinger ring to throw the water against the condenser coil to cool it off. Plus you don't have that dripping all over the place.

I haven't worked with window units in many years so I am a little out of touch with todays technology with small units.

waterman1971 07-03-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLDIRON (Post 953138)
Is this a heat pump or electric resistance? Sorry about the questions.

I would put a temporary plug in there because you want the slinger ring to throw the water against the condenser coil to cool it off. Plus you don't have that dripping all over the place.

I haven't worked with window units in many years so I am a little out of touch with todays technology with small units.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I plugged the hole, so far so good.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.