Window AC Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window AC unit

Just bought a window ac unit and it does not have a drain on the bottom of the pan, can I drill a hole in it to allow the water to escape? It sure makes a lot of pinging noise on the inside of the house. Thanks for any help, Barry

Advertisement

Barry2080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 156

Window AC unit

If it does not have a hole in the bottom of the pan perhaps there is a notch cut out of the casing in the back to allow the unit to drain? Not all window units have drain pan holes in the bottom. If the unit is not draining then be certain that you have a slight pitch to the unit so it can drain. I would not recommend drilling holes... if you even nick a coil it would cost more to fix it than get a new one... depending on the size unit you have.

As far as the pinging is concerned, not sure what that is unless you are hearing water that isn't being drained hitting the fan blades.

Could you provide some pictures of the unit or at least a make and model number?

Advertisement

FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,042

Window AC unit

The unit should be on a slight pitch out not much. With todays units being very efficient most are designed not to drain water or much water .

What happens is the water that comes from the coil drains toward the outside usually through a tube or channel then the fan blade outside is designed with a slinger ring that picks the water up and slings it against the outside coil (the hot one) then it cools the coil off with the water lowering the electric usage. The sound you are hearing is the slinger ring sloshing through the water. It can be annoying. I would try a little more pitch. post back if that don't work.