Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window AC Questiond

Hi, I have some questions about window air conditioners. My old Kenmore just went bad, so I bought a new LG 8,000 btu unit from Home Depot (Model # LW8011ER). I installed it and it seems to be working fine so far, and cools very well. I chose it over Frigidaire because I had heard LG was good and I liked the 5 year warranty... HVAC people, Did I make a good choice? Also, I noticed that inside the unit, there is a plate of styrofoam screwed in behind the blower fan, where the unit borders the outside air. Is this a reliable material? Will it hold up ok? What exactly is it? The unit is pretty powerful and quiet overall...I just wanted a model I could install and that will last me for 5-10 years and not have to worry about it. I also like that it drains water well which I have heard Frigidaires did not. Id just like some insight about the styrofoam piece inside the unit, and what it is for. Thanks.

diyguyky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 270

Window AC Questiond

The same fan exhausts the hot air and brings in the cold air so you have a hot and cold compartment and the styrofoam prevents heat transfer between them. It is a hard closed cell foam and I have never seen one fall apart. I hear good things about LG appliances. Friend is a nurse and works with lots of women and they like LG and she is buying their appliances instead of MTag soon. I have a LG computer monitor and it works great.