Window - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

window

there are a lot of windows and doors out there but i am looking for some real life reviews on some of the better quality and bang for your buck windows and doors?

Advertisement

kevin s brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

window

You probably just opened a can of worms. Everyone and his brother is going to post what their favorite window brand is. First you need to have a budget and decide how much you are willing to spend. As windows go, you get what you pay for. You can spend a little and get a cheap vinyl window, go moderate and get an Anderson vinyl clad or Marvin infinity, or go expensive and get a Marvin Ultimate Clad or something similar. As a rule of thumb, go with a reputable company that has been in business a while. That will leave you with Pella, Anderson, Marvin, etc. Places that have been around will not be going out of business in a couple of years, have a good warranty, have experience making windows, and can offer many options and lines of windows. Personally, I like both Anderson and Marvin. They both offer several different lines of windows and the more you pay the better the window. I have installed many different brands and replaced many and they are pretty decent.

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #3

window

how about cardinal windows? i have done some looking and pricing, everyone says they have the best windows and doors. i am looking for dirt on them all.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

window

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin s brink View Post
how about cardinal windows? i have done some looking and pricing, everyone says they have the best windows and doors. i am looking for dirt on them all.
really dont understand your comment there.Josh gave you great advise follow it with a good installation and you should be ok
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #5

window

thanks for your advice i am going to spend a lot of money here and i want to get as much info as possible. and part of that info is customer satisfaction
Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #6

window

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
As a rule of thumb, go with a reputable company that has been in business a while. That will leave you with Pella, Anderson, Marvin, etc. Places that have been around will not be going out of business in a couple of years, have a good warranty, have experience making windows, and can offer many options and lines of windows.
I would agree with that. I'm no fan of Anderson but several years ago I noticed a crack in the outside pane of a crank out vinyl window which eventually turned into a half moon reaching from seal to seal.

I called Anderson and I had a brand new window in two weeks.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

window

Quote:
thanks for your advice i am going to spend a lot of money here and i want to get as much info as possible. and part of that info is customer satisfaction
i understand that but the thing is everybody has a different opinion on everything.and as far as finding dirt on everything is maybe the wrong way to approach your window project.Most window problems regardless of brand i believe can be traced back to a faulty installation.If your going to be installing your own windows you should probably be more concerned about doing it correctly
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #8

window

Struble is right. Every window has its failures in the past and present. I had some Andersons that came with the sashes all out of square. They were replaced in a couple of weeks with no extra hassle or charge. A few years back Marvin used a preservative from PPG that was defective. Marvin replaced all the windows at no charge to the customer including the labor. A lot of companies will not do this, or not cover labor, or take forever to get what you need. The company and their history is just as important as the window.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Aged by the outdoors

window

I agree with strublesiding on the installation, along with a quality window. I've installed several windows myself (I am not a professional) and found that if I really carefully follow the instructions and insulate it well, good quality windows will return the favor. I've installed both Pella and Andersen casements and even a bay Andersen casement - all of them have performed excellent for years. I was skeptical about going with Andersen vinyl clad - just could not find it in myself to think vinyl anything would stand up in Wyoming's harsh weather, but so far they have been true performers. I advise getting with a dealer who really knows their windows and what options are available. For instance, for one of my windows in a retrofit, I could not use the nailing fin without totally removing the siding (which I have done since) - they provided information on alternative installation methods which worked great. Many of the lesser known window names have a big sell job on their revolutionary channel system and such that is supposed to make them superior. Maybe I am old school or something, but Andersen, Pella and Marvin have been in this business forever, so I trust that they are in tune with the best window technology - and I've not been disappointed yet.
fishhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 89

window

Quote:
I suspect that you are referring to Cardinal Glass, which is not a window company, rather they are the primary glass supplier to most of the residential window makers.
oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #11

window

Actually, I googled, and I found a Cardinal window company. Cardinal Glass is a completely different company. I think the Marvin family has a big stake in Cardinal Glass.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 89

window

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
Actually, I googled, and I found a Cardinal window company. Cardinal Glass is a completely different company. I think the Marvin family has a big stake in Cardinal Glass.

There is a Cardinal Window company, but it is very small and regional. I would suggest that if anyone talking about windows mentions Cardinal, 99.9% of the time they are talking about Cardinal the glass supplier, not the window company. Heck, there is even an AndersOn window company, not to be confused with AndersEn Windows.

Cardinal Glass is completely independent of any window company. Marvin's only stake in Cardinal is as a customer.

Advertisement

oberon is offline   Reply With Quote