DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   will turning off boiler cause problems? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/will-turning-off-boiler-cause-problems-171920/)

19mquinn79 02-14-2013 11:36 AM

will turning off boiler cause problems?
 
i need to turn off the main water supply to my house, for a project unrelated to my boiler. But my boiler obviously uses water, so I assume I need to turn off my boiler (shut off the power supply) as long as the water supply is shut off.

assuming i'm right about having to turn off the boiler, will doing this cause problems later on when I turn it back on? I read somewhere that with some boilers, you need a technician to properly turn it back on and get it started again. is this just a myth? thanks...

yuri 02-14-2013 12:47 PM

If it has an automatic water feeder valve then the water should be on BUT most of them don't work anyway (seize up and get clogged with rust internally) and the boiler needs to be filled manually and the expansion tank if it has the old horz torpedo type drained and refilled occasionally. If it has a bladder expansion tank then it does not need refilling. If it is a steam boiler with auto fill valve then it must have water so it depends on the setup you have. I would not worry about shutting it off unless it is for more than 8 hrs. After that it must be restarted and warmed up slowly so the pipes can expand slowly and not have leaks. Post a bunch of pics of the boiler and area around it for more help.

Bondo 02-14-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19mquinn79 (Post 1117044)
i need to turn off the main water supply to my house, for a project unrelated to my boiler. But my boiler obviously uses water, so I assume I need to turn off my boiler (shut off the power supply) as long as the water supply is shut off.

assuming i'm right about having to turn off the boiler, will doing this cause problems later on when I turn it back on? I read somewhere that with some boilers, you need a technician to properly turn it back on and get it started again. is this just a myth? thanks...

Nope,... All ya gotta do is shut off the boiler's supply valve, so's it don't back-feed it's water, due to the lack of supply pressure...
There Should be a check-valve, but shuttin' the manual valve insures the isolation, 'tween the 2 systems...

The boiler will continue to heat, regardless what yer doin' with the domestic supply...

19mquinn79 02-14-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondo (Post 1117099)
Nope,... All ya gotta do is shut off the boiler's supply valve, so's it don't back-feed it's water, due to the lack of supply pressure...
There Should be a check-valve, but shuttin' the manual valve insures the isolation, 'tween the 2 systems...

The boiler will continue to heat, regardless what yer doin' with the domestic supply...

really? i know nothing about boilers. how does it continue heating water, if the water supply is shut off?

yuri 02-14-2013 01:41 PM

A boiler is like your car engine with a radiator. It is a closed loop. Unless your antifreeze leaks out from your car it won't overheat and you can go forever. Almost the same with a boiler as it should be checked every 2 yrs to make sure it has not lost any water and air gets in the system and needs to be bled out. Not going to give you a course here but if you google hot water heating system or boiler you can read all about it. As long as you follow my first post you should be OK.

beenthere 02-14-2013 07:33 PM

As above. your boiler is a closed loop system. it doesn't heat fresh water to heat your house everytime it runs.

Canucker 02-15-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere (Post 1117362)
As above. your boiler is a closed loop system. it doesn't heat fresh water to heat your house everytime it runs.

It should be a closed loop, but it may be an open loop install. I've seen some of those. Who wants to spend the money to do it right when you can use the hot water heater to warm your floors? Legionella? What's that?:eek::laughing:

beenthere 02-15-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canucker (Post 1117499)
It should be a closed loop, but it may be an open loop install. I've seen some of those. Who wants to spend the money to do it right when you can use the hot water heater to warm your floors? Legionella? What's that?:eek::laughing:

Since he said boiler and not water heater. I'm going on a boiler.

An open system on a boiler would tend to destroy the boiler every 10 years or so.

Canucker 02-15-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere (Post 1117511)
Since he said boiler and not water heater. I'm going on a boiler.

An open system on a boiler would tend to destroy the boiler every 10 years or so.

But think of all the money they saved on the install. :laughing:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved