Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #1

Share |

Will mini-splits ever be portable? Future vote

Will anyone come up with a mini-split portable system using short-run (4-8ft) high pressure flexible braided lines ready assembled for drape through window installation? Imagine how easy and seamless window accessibility would be and the benefits and uses a potable high efficiency unit like this could offer to the landlord or HVAC service technician in emergencies who's customer central unit has failed in the middle of a heat wave. Not to mention ease of installation compared to other window units.

Don't be afraid to answer at least a simple YES/NO. I just want to see if there is a future consensus and why?

CWO4GUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Portable splits have been made for many years now.

http://www.amazon.com/TPI-Corporatio.../dp/B0083ITX7W

gregzoll (08-31-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #3

Wow, thanks I didn't know that. With the $8700 price tag to me that says there are some propriety issue and industry concerns why this hasn't translated to the residential low cost use. But the main point here is that it is possible which means I only have to DIY assemble the right flex lines to make this this work with a low cost residential mini-split.

As a landlord with tenant central AC systems that could fail at a moments notice, something like this for emergency use could save me serious money form having to be at the mercy of contracted emergency repairs, and buy me time for off season DIY repairs/new installation when time is not a constraint. Now that you've armed me with this information, once I get my garage mini-split DIY installed, Ill start research work on what houses will work and have them made or assemble them myself. Who know, there might even be a market for retrofit resale.

Thank again.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Ill start research work on what houses will work and have them made or assemble them myself. Who know, there might even be a market for retrofit resale.
You might want to talk to your insurance co and to a lawyer about using a DIY system in rentals, instead of a system that is NRTL listed. Same thing for trying to sell one.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #5

Well DIY doesn't mean Im not licensed and certified. You'd be surprised how many handymen, retired folks, and landlords are getting certified these days specifically to gain more social DIY independence and to keep from being fleeced by the industry. Besides VRF mini-split ductless systems are the wave of the future according to what the industry itself is predicting. That buy 2018 Asian imports of VRF mini-split ductless systems will reach such a high saturation point due to low cost, and ease of installation (code word for DIY), that traditional systems will only account for a very small portion of the market in new construction only. If anything the insurance rates will probubly drop due to less chance of an undetectable attic fire.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Undetectable attic fire??

OH , The Horror of it All.

Glad I don`t have one or I would not be able to sleep staring at the ceiling looking for smoke.

Doubt there has ever been a recorded case of that. That is why we have fuses or circuit breakers on motors.
Attached Images

gregzoll (08-31-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

" The Industry " is a vague nebulous word. Who speaks for everyone?

Mini-splits account for 10% or less of the HVAC market. Reason being you can only cool one room or at best 2-3 with some very expensive multi-head units. Then the logistics of where you drain the water and how to get the Freon lines fished thru a finished wall etc becomes a nightmare. They are popular in condos and some houses who have hot water heat. The HVAC techs have nothing to fear from them as most people want a central system that does the whole house.

Those cheap Asian units you will rip off the wall in 5 years when they break and cannot be fixed or find parts for. Then "The Industry" won't be so fond of them.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Undetectable attic fire??OH , The Horror of it All.Glad I don`t have one or I would not be able to sleep staring at the ceiling looking for smoke.Doubt there has ever been a recorded case of that. That is why we have fuses or circuit breakers on motors.
Come-on Yuri, you know as well as I do that there is a heating/furnace side to the attic story and every winter they account for most of the home losses and death resulting from fires, even if it is due to poor maintenance becasue technicians avoid going into attics unless absolutely necessary, i.e. "Im not allowed to go up there, its not part of my job".
Old 08-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
"Those cheap Asian units you will rip off the wall in 5 years when they break and cannot be fixed or find parts for. Then "The Industry" won't be so fond of them.
Hay man, if it keeps me out of those hot attics $650 is a small price to pay for 5 years. You bet Ill rip it off the wall and buy another, and the great news is I can do 90% of the disposal work from the conditioned space.

Hay man, don't for get to post your deluxe mini-split install, I need the help to install my cheap one. Even though I'm certified I'm rusty and don't want to invest too much and rather make mistakes on this cheap one, so it will be easier later when I have to install a whole house system.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Most of those units, are not something you would want installed in a house where the people aren't there 24/7. They are as easy to steal as a window unit, and a lot more valuable.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Most of those units, are not something you would want installed in a house where the people aren't there 24/7. They are as easy to steal as a window unit, and a lot more valuable.

You got to do better then that. Most of the dumbbells that are stealing the condenser units want the bigger units with allot of copper, and if you live in an area where this is common you need to either get out of that neighborhood or stay barricaded indoors 24/7 anyway.

Next
Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

All furnaces have limit controls and most have flame rollout switches nowadays so I highly doubt many catch on fire. Even a regular furnace if it rolls out a flame from the burner will short out the wires on the gas valve and burnout the transformer and it shuts down. I have never heard of a house fire in my 35 years from such nonsense.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is the problem with dirty burners and grossly neglected furnaces and a lack of CO detectors not fires.

I could not care less if DIYers want to install Asian mini splits or do anything to themselves or their houses. Where I have an issue is when people are insulting to the HVAC biz like we are all criminals or thieves. I don't insult the military and yet some of them are guilty of war crimes or other atrocities. Don't lump everyone together.

Last edited by yuri; 08-28-2014 at 09:26 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #13

Quote:
All furnaces have limit controls and most have flame rollout switches nowadays so I highly doubt many catch on fire. Even a regular furnace if it rolls out a flame from the burner will short out the wires on the gas valve and burnout the transformer and it shuts down. I have never heard of a house fire in my 35 years from such nonsense.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is the problem with dirty burners and grossly neglected furnaces and a lack of CO detectors not fires.

I could not care less if DIYers want to install Asian mini splits or do anything to themselves or their houses. Where I have an issue is when people are insulting to the HVAC biz like we are all criminals or thieves. I don't insult the military and yet some of them are guilty of war crimes or other atrocities. Don't lump everyone together.
Hmmm? Well lest see what the statistics show and what the experts tell us every year on the news before the holidays....

US Fire Administration:
Did you know that a furnace is basically a controlled fire in your home; the US Fire Administration estimates there are over 54,000 heating cause fires in the US a year, not to mention dangerous CO leaks. A furnace can cause fires, or produce carbon monoxide, which can be fatal. Carbon monoxide, or as it is often referred as CO, is a colorless and odorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death which can poison a person or animal by breathing it. CO poisoning is often difficult to diagnose because the symptoms can often mimic flu like systems.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #14

Quote:
I don't insult the military and yet some of them are guilty of war crimes or other atrocities. Don't lump everyone together.
To that statement I say: ah ah ah, off topic
Old 08-29-2014, 05:37 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWO4GUNNER View Post
You got to do better then that. Most of the dumbbells that are stealing the condenser units want the bigger units with allot of copper, and if you live in an area where this is common you need to either get out of that neighborhood or stay barricaded indoors 24/7 anyway.

Next
I wasn't talking about them scrapping it. I was talking about them using it or reselling it on ebay.