Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Why does smoke flood out of barrel stove?

I made a barrel stove and fired it up. Smoke leaks out of EVERYWHERE - the seems between the barrel and the door, between the barrel and the smoke stack, between the door and rim... everywhere it can possibly leak.

Shouldn't the smoke go out the chimney? The damper is open, hole isn't plugged - is there some trick to getting this to work?

I'm thinking there might be wind going into my chimney -- do I just need to make the chimney bigger / taller?

My chimney has a 90 degree bend - would that be a problem?

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibberous View Post
I made a barrel stove and fired it up. Smoke leaks out of EVERYWHERE - the seems between the barrel and the door, between the barrel and the smoke stack, between the door and rim... everywhere it can possibly leak.

Shouldn't the smoke go out the chimney? The damper is open, hole isn't plugged - is there some trick to getting this to work?

I'm thinking there might be wind going into my chimney -- do I just need to make the chimney bigger / taller?

My chimney has a 90 degree bend - would that be a problem?

Need pictures........

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,788

Yep, pics of stove and chimney.

The first model of the Franklin stove, was a failure.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
airup88 (04-10-2013)
Old 11-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

a 90 degree bend really......that may be a problem
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmon View Post
a 90 degree bend really......that may be a problem
The instructions say not to use more than 2, so I'd think one would be okay?

I can't find my camera cable =/ I am going to try just making the chimney point upward and maybe put something over the end of it to block the wind.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

I don't know the exact solution to your problem, but I can tell you the basic reason the smoke is coming out of the seams as opposed to the chimney. The atmospheric pressure of the inside of the structure (house, cabin, etc) is lower than the pressure outside (in this case, the chimney is considered part of outside).

Eliminating the bend will help, but it may not fix the issue.

What is the diameter of the chimney? How long is it? How big is the stove? How long is it from the time you light the fire to when the smoke coming out the seams is detectable via scent?

If you have a 55 gallon barrel full of burning wood and you are trying to evacuate it with a 4" chimney, the amount of smoke produced will rapidly raise the pressure in the chimney to a level that makes the easiest path for the smoke to take at the seams.

You may also want to do some research into chimney wind caps if you do not already have one?

Last edited by acpete48317; 11-24-2011 at 11:35 PM.
acpete48317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acpete48317 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-25-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 06:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 254

Do you have a draft vent on your chimney pipe they are a weighted door in the pipe that closes when not being used but opens and allows the proper draft in the chimney.
cjm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

If it's an outside chimney we had the same problem with a Franklin wood stove. An outside chimney is obviously very cold at stove start up so it is not drafting like it should. To light the stove, someone told us to open a window nearby. Seems ridiculous, but that worked like a charm. I think like one of the previous posters said, it has something to do with atmospheric pressure.

Once the fire was going, it was fine. kind of similar to your issue. Good luck!
dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 254

I was taught to heat up the chimney prior to lighting the fire. My Father always took a sheet of news paper and rolled and twisted it up till it was about a foot long and twisted really tight. He would light one end and hold it way back in the barrel, right below the chimney pipe. He said that this warm air would start the draft. He also cracked open a window when he first lit a fire. Once his newspaper "torch" had burned down some and before it was to hot to hold it, he would shove it up under the wood in the stove. Worked everytime and I cant remember a time where he used more then one match!!!
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Fires require air to burn.

If you are going to expect the smoke to rise and exit via a chimney then air is required. The air will rise naturally from the heat of the fire and carry the smoke upward but not if there is no place to get the air. Air sent out a chimney due to heat-rise must be made-up from some source. If the building is tight then some avenue for fresh air must be provided, such as an open window.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #11

Looks like all it needed was three pieces of pipe added to the end (6" pipe)

I might try to mess with it and see if I can't get it a little further away from the siding. I might even invest in a 55 gallon drum to use as a big chimney cap, maybe help keep soot off my siding.

They make a second kit that attaches a barrel on top of the first one - that might be the best route: make the stove more efficient and really cool down the smoke leaving the stove.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

The elevation of the stack has something to do with how well it will draw also.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,788

If the flue gas leaves the stove too cool, you will gt condensation in the chimney.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #14

Thing still works like ****.

Heating the chimney does seem to help, but that's a pain in the ass.

I'm thinking I might just buy a 6" duct fan and let it suck the smoke out, since I can't get it to work like a normal stove. What really sucks is that smoke even wants to come through the gaps in the smoke stack bends. I'm so sick of this damn stove I almost just wish the house would burn down so I could build one with actual insulation =/
Old 11-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 252

In no particular order
1. use an adjustable elbow. Keep the pipe as straigth as possible
2. the outlet should be at least 3' higher than any elevation within 10'
3. If this is a real stove, use the same diameter pipe as the stove outlet
4. Your house is not very air tight, the open window won't make much differenct
5. you need 3 screws in each pipe joint and 3 in the vertical seem.
6. Set the first joint on hte stove outlet. The next joint goes into the first joint.
7. Do you have the correct clearance to combustables? If not STOP!! Make sure the clearance is according the the mfg specs. before you start a fire.

Did you even look at any kind of instructions or codes before installing something that could burn your house down and burn you up?

Did you get the install inspected by a knowlegable inspector? Are you aware some insurance companies will not insure a wood stove install? Are you aware that if you have a stove fire, the insurance company may deny coverage?

Is the duct fan even listed for the application? I do not remember seeing anything like that, that is designed to go into a smoke pipe.

fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote