Why Can't I Make Up My Mind! Ductless Split? Ducted Heat Pump? Furnace W/ AC Coil.... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Why can't I make up my mind! Ductless split? ducted heat pump? Furnace W/ AC coil....

I have an old 28' fixer with a monster of boiler plate and asbestos that is in serious need of replacement.

I have bounced back and forth several times between my choices, and now find that I can't seem to land firmly on one of them!

How about some "here's why" or "here's why not" about the options.
Keep in mind I will be doing most, if not ALL of the install myself.
Living in pacific NW. Rarely see temps in the teens.
1. Gas furnace. 70K 95% (already have gas water, and central vents/return)
2.Gas furnace W/ AC coil 2 ton.
3. Ducted heat pump 2 Ton W/ backup 9k heat strip. (can't seem to find a lot of info on cold weather heating cutoff.)
4. Ductless single split. 2 ton (small house 800 sqft main w/ 200 upstairs, and 500 basement, think it would circulate heat/cold well enough??)

Thanks all!

Advertisement

penguinchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Why can't I make up my mind! Ductless split? ducted heat pump? Furnace W/ AC coil....

you have the ducts and the basics go with the central system forget the ductless only maybe one if you have a hi ranch where you need to catch the kitchen and dinning room just an opinion...i would reseal all the duct work with that heavy brush on sealer and let it cure till you install..

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

to follow up on the previous post which I totally agree with, Go with a 95% variable speed, multi-stage furnace with a multi-stage AC condenser and you will always be comfortable. With your ductwork sealed and insulated you should see a dramatic drop in utility cost.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

One option you didn't mention is one that will give you the best of both comfort and economy.

It's known as "dual fuel". Install a 95% NG furnace and a heat pump. When the temps get close to 30 let the stat switch from HP to furnace.