Whole House Vs Attic Fan - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 272

whole house vs attic fan

we have a small >1000 sq ft house, and its starting to get warmer out so I am planning ahead.

We cant afford AC, so we were thinking along the lines of fans, but what would be more beneficial, a whole house fan or a attic ventilation fan

In our home we have coffered celings and recessed lighting in every room but the kitchen, so we were thinking we could possibly install the whole house fan there. The problem is its right outside out bedroom door, we have a strange remodel where out bedroom is off the kitchen

But that being said it would need to be a quiet fan as it would be outside out door haha.

Advertisement

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 282

whole house vs attic fan

Basically the best of both worlds would be to get a whole house fan that blows into the attic. You mount it in the ceiling of the second story (or first if only single level) and it blows air from inside of the house into the attic. It ventilates the house and the attic in the process. They have one way flaps that close under gravity and open under the airflow of the fan.

Doesn't work if your house has all vaulted ceilings..

Advertisement

zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #3

whole house vs attic fan

If we were to choose a whole house fan, how do you pick one out? I only know of shopping at Lowes and Home Depot and when I was on their website, they didnt seem to have the best reviews.

This is the one that stands out the most:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Last edited by cbzdel; 06-28-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

whole house vs attic fan

I've installed a couple of fans like the one you linked to. If you're concerned about quiet, these are NOT what you want. They do a great job of moving lots of air, but you can't move air without making noise. I can hear the roar in the whole house, even on low speed.

There are some smaller whole-house fans that use multiple small fans in an insulated housing. They are expensive, and don't move as much air (check the CFM ratings). They seem to be quieter and much more energy efficient. They also don't require you to cut a joist and frame an opening in the ceiling.

Just do a Google search on whole-house fans, and you'll see a bunch of them.
houseinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

whole house vs attic fan

do you have ceiling fans..if yes vent the attic from both ends install the attic fan on the side with the most shade for the coolest air into the attic.with the ceiling fans and a window unit in the living room and work it together that room will be comfortable..12 O'Clock on the AC dial 75F if digital ceiling fan on medium/low.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #6

whole house vs attic fan

here is a question, can I install the whole house can within the vertical section of a skylight? Similar to this?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:21 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

whole house vs attic fan

We just installed an airscape whole house fan in our skylight light well. If works great. We live in California where it gets cool after sunset - so the WHF pulls cool air into the house and exhausts into the attic. Cools the house down. It runs at 4400CFM and is not very loud.

During the day we run attic fans to keep the heat in the attic under control.

Advertisement

fgaldes is offline   Reply With Quote