Whole House Humidifier Advice - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Whole house humidifier advice

Greetings all!

I live in southern New Mexico and the dry winters out here have me contemplating the installation of a whole house humidifer such as the Desert Spring Rotary Disc Furnace-Mount Humidifier.

I have an older PBKM-LD12N080C furnace manufactured circa 1994 that is installed in a small closet in the garage. This is an upflow furnace with a bottom return. Instead of having a conventional cold air return from the attic, indoor air is drawn into the blower from a central location in an adjacent room up through the wooden base/pedestal which supports the furnace.

Manual: (http://www.hamiltonhomeproducts.com/...KD-Install.pdf)

The installation instructions (http://www.desertspringproducts.com/...anual_R2_1.pdf) for the Desert Spring Rotar humidifier, and some other bypass humidifiers, call for mounting the humidifier on the cold air return ducting, though this old furnace wasn't installed with a cold air return. Given that the air is returned through the wooden base--along with the limited space in the furnace closet--I'm wondering if the humidifier can be mounted in another location?

Any help would be appreciated!

Stephen

Advertisement

Last edited by stephen_smith; 01-12-2009 at 01:32 AM.
stephen_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
What can I find here?

Rewards Points: 150

You could use a power vented type like the Aprilaire 700??

Advertisement

Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,576

He might have enough room between the flue pipe and the plenum near the ceiling.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Are you stuck on BypassHumifiers?
integlikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

I had a desert springs rotary humidifier and I wouldn't recommend it in your environment. I live in Denver, so the heat isn't on all the time because it usually is sunny enough during the day that the house heats up on it's own. I didn't notice a difference when I installed mine so I emailed the company for suggestions and they basically told me to turn my heat on higher so the furnace would run more because it wasn't running enough to kick out the humidity. I set my house at 68 degrees. I pulled it out and just bought a few big portable humidifiers, which don't really do crap either. Now I pretty much just live with the fact that everything I touch will give me a shock. I think it would work a lot better in a colder climate.

Last spring I touched the thermostat and the shock was so big that it fried it and I needed to buy a new one. That was what originally prompted me to buy the desert springs humidifier.
epeterson777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom return , furnace , humidifier , upflow