Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Share |
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


We moved into a foreclosure last year and its a large house.

6400 sq. feet. The basement and all the bathrooms are floor heated. The rest of the house is heated by a Geothermal system and a backup gas furnace.

The previous owners purchased a steam humidifier and later replaced it with a non-steam humidifier which supposedly worked better.

Then they foreclosed and cut the unit out before they left.

MN winters are getting to us already and really need to get something put back in.

Since everything is currently still there (Aprilaire controller, wiring to sensor outside, water line, hookups to furnace and geothermal) I'd really like to find something I can just plug in without a lot of headaches.

I looked at the Aprilaire 700 but it doesn't install on a horizontal duct which is where I'd have to mount mine.

Any ideas?

jensenkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 2,318
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


Why would it not install on horizontal duct. You mount it top side up on the horizontal duct.

__________________
IT IS WHAT IT IS
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 273
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


I'm assuming you're planning on putting it back where the other one was. Even the 700 isn't listed as being big enough for your square footage.

How about a picture (worth a 1000 words) of where the other one was mounted and where you plan on mounting the new one.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
Why would it not install on horizontal duct. You mount it top side up on the horizontal duct.
""The Model 700 is not suitable for installation on ducts with horizontal airflow. Performance will be reduced." This is an understatement; performance is horrible when mounted on a horizontal duct." - from Aprilaire
jensenkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


Quote:
Originally Posted by old_squid View Post
I'm assuming you're planning on putting it back where the other one was. Even the 700 isn't listed as being big enough for your square footage.

How about a picture (worth a 1000 words) of where the other one was mounted and where you plan on mounting the new one.
Yep I pulled off the first patch on the ductwork and found a 6" circle so it looks like they had a bypass humidifier installed.

I'm guessing something like the Aprilaire 600.

You are correct, none of these non-steam systems are big enough for my house but 2500 sq feet of the house is not heated via forced air. So in reality its more like 4000 sq feet of forced air heat.
jensenkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 2,318
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


Your options are a model 600 or steam model 800.
__________________
IT IS WHAT IT IS
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


I'll get a picture tonight
jensenkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
Your options are a model 600 or steam model 800.
That's what I figured. I'm thinking model 600
jensenkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,791
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


Doubt a 600 will be enough for that size house. Specially when heating with a geo. Make sure its connected to the hot water line.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 291
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


For what it's worth I have the 800 in a 4500 sq ft house and hate it. I'm actually ripping it out now. I have it hooked up to the remote blower and have always had problems. First, i had to put an in line filter on the supply line because the canister was getting dirty so fast that it stopped working. I had a circuit board go bad and had to be changed. The blower is always "dripping", even though all directions were followed. Everything was pitched and installed right, but I still get dripping. The fan isn't really strong enough to circulate the steam - I had plenty of space around the blower but still had moisture on my walls in that area. Finally, the o ring where the canister is inserted was always leaking, causing water to drip out into the drip cup. Tech support always felt I was installing the canister wrong - I replaced the o ring with one ever so slightly larger, and the problem was solved. All in all I decided I spent way too much time and money trying to get it to work, so I gave up and purchased a few high end humidifiers that I have to fill every day or two.
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,530
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


Use a sears console model with water tanks till you get the big dog put back. They work good. Thats what I use.
__________________
" A lot of men build things, and a lot of things fall down "

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzonetv View Post
For what it's worth I have the 800 in a 4500 sq ft house and hate it. I'm actually ripping it out now. I have it hooked up to the remote blower and have always had problems. First, i had to put an in line filter on the supply line because the canister was getting dirty so fast that it stopped working. I had a circuit board go bad and had to be changed. The blower is always "dripping", even though all directions were followed. Everything was pitched and installed right, but I still get dripping. The fan isn't really strong enough to circulate the steam - I had plenty of space around the blower but still had moisture on my walls in that area. Finally, the o ring where the canister is inserted was always leaking, causing water to drip out into the drip cup. Tech support always felt I was installing the canister wrong - I replaced the o ring with one ever so slightly larger, and the problem was solved. All in all I decided I spent way too much time and money trying to get it to work, so I gave up and purchased a few high end humidifiers that I have to fill every day or two.
Common story unfortunately. Even the HVAC company I talked to told me not to waste my time with the 800. They wind up replacing over 1/2 of them every year with different units due to all the issues you brought up.
jensenkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 291
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


Wish I would have spoke to that Hvac company before I installed mine!!! =)
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzonetv View Post
.. purchased a few high end humidifiers that I have to fill every day or two.
What Make/Model humidifiers did you get? I'm considering picking one up.
jensenkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 291
Default

Whole house humidifer for large house


I got the Hera from Stadler Form. I really like them. They are quiet and one unit does @ 1000sq ft.

Not cheap, but cheaper than the 800 and the canisters that go with it.

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My house's previous owner - DIY horror stories Leah Frances General DIY Discussions 128 03-18-2014 06:41 AM
Attaching wood fence to house TheCowGod Building & Construction 5 04-13-2012 03:57 PM
Attach ledger to vinyl sided house JamyTheBuilder Building & Construction 3 03-14-2012 02:54 PM
Fixing weekend house staining that went awry jb888s Painting 10 08-17-2009 10:01 PM
I have Central Heating & Air, but house won't cool down..HELP!! exiledone1 HVAC 13 07-10-2009 10:09 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.