Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #1

Share |

whole house fan questions

Interested in a whole house fan. I had one in my old house and it was great to bring cool evening air in and move out the hot afternoon air from the attic/main living area.

The new house has pretty poor air flow with the windows open and figured this would solve that problem. Originally I was going to go get a nice dayton belt drive 30" fan, but quickly realized I cant touch the roof trusses to install it...are there good alternatives that you've used/suggest if I cant cut/reframe the ceiling joists?

redline9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #2

whole house fan questions

I have one of the twin 12" direct drive units. It moves air, but is SO LOUD, like B52 loud, I almost never use it. Either get a smaller belt drive that will fit, or look into the remote mount types, where the motor is located up in the attic and uses ducting to connect to the registers. I am going to see if I can remote mount mine to make it quieter.

FixitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote