Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

Share |

whole house fan

Want to install a 30" or 36" belt driven whole house fan. There are a few good fans out there, but some of the shutters that are offered with these fans make a fair amount of rattling noise. I am going to build up the mounting frame so as to increase the size of the vacuum box, which basically increases the distance between the propeller vanes and the shutter slats. This is supposed to lessen the turbulent airflow effect on the shutter. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to lessen the amount of shutter noise? Any recommendations for a better quality shutter? Thanks for your time and consideration. Rob

killermrob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #2

whole house fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killermrob83 View Post
Want to install a 30" or 36" belt driven whole house fan. There are a few good fans out there, but some of the shutters that are offered with these fans make a fair amount of rattling noise. I am going to build up the mounting frame so as to increase the size of the vacuum box, which basically increases the distance between the propeller vanes and the shutter slats. This is supposed to lessen the turbulent airflow effect on the shutter. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to lessen the amount of shutter noise? Any recommendations for a better quality shutter? Thanks for your time and consideration. Rob
hi rob...had the same issue with my sons house....what we did was install a removable screen in hall way and install 24" gable mounted fan with on and off switch in hall and stat control in attic took screens out in winter ...works like a dream and quiet....ben sr

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

whole house fan

Thanks Ben. Could you please be a bit more specific? Is the screen added in addition to the louvers, to smooth out the air flow? Or is it in place of the louvers? If the latter, how did you go about closing off the opening (screen area) for times when the air conditioning is running? Was the purpose of the gable fan to reduce the backpressure on the whf, or did you just run the gable fan vice running the whf?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #4

whole house fan

1 st fan is only usedwhen a/c is not being used....screen is in place of louvers when using a/c opening is covered with door and attic is cooled with smaller fan and vents stat controled...hope that helps
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Special User

whole house fan

I'm afraid I have no advice, but I'm installing a swamp cooler in my roof and ducting it to one outlet in my ceiling, so I am interested to hear what others have to say (since I'm doing the same thing as a whole house fan only in reverse). I already bought a barometric damper but if this one turns out to rattle, I'm all ears on replacement suggestions...
Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #6

whole house fan

What do you mean by 'st fan'?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #7

whole house fan

Hello Rob

I'm not sure this will help but there may be a possibility. I didn't frame mine intentionally for a weather strip bumper for the louver ends to rest on when open but as I read your question and look at mine it could be done if the strip can be attached to wood.

In my case it would prevent the louvers from fully opening by approximately a 1/4" as they rested on the cushion when open. I could attempt to take a pic from below if it would make it clearer rather than more fuzzy in one's mind.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

whole house fan

Spoke with a couple of fan manufacturer reps today and they agree that the cause of shutter rattle is caused by insufficient NFA (net free area) of exhaust venting. Instead of the air being pulled freely through the fan and easily exhausted to the atmosphere, a backpressure is created in the attic space which causes turbulence in the vacuum box area at the shutter. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #9

whole house fan

To get enough venting , I installed a ridge vent on my old house when I installed a whole house fan.

My fan was from Grainger as well as the shutter , ball bearing moter ect.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

whole house fan

Are the new whole house fans variable speed? I haven't priced out or seen a new one.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
Special User

whole house fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Are the new whole house fans variable speed? I haven't priced out or seen a new one.
You can get adjustable pullies. Motor runs at the same speed, but the effective fan RPM can be altered.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #12

whole house fan

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/who...og/N-jr5?xi=xi

I thought most were 2 speed ..at least mine was...

Mine was a granger unit and came with a timer ( shutter sold seperatly in the catalog) that was nice when using at night.

Last edited by High Gear; 04-10-2013 at 03:06 PM.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #13

whole house fan

I actually took and installed a 20x30 return vent type louver in my hallway. It has a hinged side so I can easily open it and slide in a piece of insulation in the off season. I built a box above the vent, attached a piece of 16" insulated flex duct to a gable power vent fan that I hung in the attic. (actually, the box is attached to 3 pieces of duct going to 3 fans in the attic, I have 3 switches so I can turn on 1, 2, or 3 fans, depending on how much airflow I want, up to the max of about 8000cfm) That's what I use for a whole house fan. It's much quieter because of the insulated duct and the fact that the fans are not sitting on the ceiling, but far from the opening. Also, no worries or a rattling, ugly shutter.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2025425...0#.UWcqM1eavhk

taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote