Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #1

Share |

Whole house fan

Forgive me if this is the wrong location for this post.

I am interested in getting a whole house fan for my home. It's usually 10degrees warmer inside than it is outside during the day/evening, and at night it can be 15-20 degrees warmer inside than outside.

My question is what whole house fan do I get for an 1100sq ft single story ranch. The only good location is in the hallway outside of all the bedrooms/bathroom. The concern is noise. The location still wouldn't be far from the living room with the TV, and being outside all the bedrooms noise is a concern just from trying to sleep at night.

I found this one at homedepot
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

but most of the comments are complaining about the noise. I'd rather find one like this.

http://www.tamtech.com/store/hv1600-...ed,Product.asp

but I don't understand why a fan that moves so much less air costs that much more. I don't care about the automatic insulation. I was going to get insulation board and build a box to sit over the fan in the winter time.

So my question is what whole house fan is right for my home? I'd like one in the price range of the homedepot listing, but with the CFM of the second one to keep the noise down.

Thanks!

Jason.

Ximerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #2

Whole house fan

If you are concerned about noise from a whole house fan you may want to try a new product. Nature's Cooling Solutions has a new smart fan that installs in a window and automates the use of cooling with outside air. The good news is you don't have to hassle with opening and closing windows or worry about rain. The bad news is you will need several or these for a house which makes the cost comparable with a contractor installed whole house fan but more expensive than self installed lower end whole house fans. If you use an air conditioner for peak hot weather they are great, but if you only use ventilation cooling and don't mind opening windows you probably want to stick with a quiet whole house fan.

Gavin W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Whole house fan

Thanks for the reply.

I'll check it out.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to chsitko Send a message via Yahoo to chsitko

Whole house fan

Hi Ximerian, im also looking for a whole house fan. I came across this link which seemed to have some decent fans. They cost more than the cheap home depot model but seem nice and seem energy efficient. hope it helps.

http://www.airscapefans.com/products...hole-House-Fan
chsitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #5

Whole house fan

Thanks for the reply chsitko. I do like the more rectangle shape with the 2 smaller fans because that would fit easier into my space, but the price for the one this website 'recommends' for my home is out of my price range. I'm betting I don't need the one that it recommends though, I have a gable fan in my attic, and just got home to my house being 85 degrees when it is 75 outside, and my attic felt cooler than the living space.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #6

Whole house fan

Have you checked this one out?

http://www.roofvents.com/economizer.html

They have a few different options of motorized, passive, etc. Seems pretty versatile, if the price is right.
IrvG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Busy DIYer

Unhappy

Whole house fan

I just use a regular $14 box fan that I got from the big box stores, prop it up in the window, cools the room I am in pretty well. This might be an option for you as well.

picflight is offline   Reply With Quote