Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

whole house exhaust fan anybody

Been struggling to find the right place for this. If not right please let me know.

Hi, I probably would learn just as much from your questions and answers as from mine so please chime in, I don't mind. I don't know what to ask. I hope that is ok.

Do any of you have ones that work well? I don't mean the kind you run all day and barely feel the breeze.

I plan to put (or have put) in a couple whole house exhaust fans. One upstairs where hot to exhaust hot air in summer and one downstairs to exhaust cold air in winter, when warmer outside, also use second one for summer. The locations are way far apart, go into different attic areas.

I don't want to add a circuit for the fan, that would cost more than any heat or a/c I could possibly use. So they cannot be that big.

Can I just aim the vent at the house opening in the attic about 1/2" from the vent? Can I make the input kinda loose somehow so it takes some of the blistering hot attic air and exhaust it too. Or maybe exhaust some of the house air like 85 degrees into really hot attic, the rest goes out the vent. I don't want the insulation to fly out the vents or have fiberglass go down the walls and out the light sockets. I have seen this happen, air blowing out the sockets, the person then ducted the fan to outside. Lots of problems with fiberglass in skin.

My house is about 1700 sq ft. The no-longer-friend's house was about 1100 sq ft. he put it in the bathroom and the towels hung at half mast. I think they would have gone to the ceiling if not on the rack securely. Serious, not kidding. I don't want one that strong.

I got a stand alone WH fan for my sister long ago , kind you plug in and move each day. She put it in a doorway and lowered shutters onto it and it sucked every molicule of air out of the house, around corners and all. Started with one room window open, when cool opened another room window until the whole house was same temp as outside. Wonderful. I want to just flick a switch.
I'll be getting the permits soon so I have to figure out what's going on.
I's not going to be fun, I looked up there recently and for the first time I saw the insulation I had put up there long ago. Cannot find the joists. I don't know how I'm going to crawl around up there.

Do I have to put in additional openings to outside?

thanks for all replies and your own questions.

gailquilter2 aka 'gailquilter' everywhere else I go.

gailquilter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #2

What attic vent(s) do you have ? Pics...sizes ?
Without a proper/big enough place for the air to exhaust it will not work correctly

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
What attic vent(s) do you have ? Pics...sizes ?
Without a proper/big enough place for the air to exhaust it will not work correctly
3 of them, each about a foot square. 3rd one the same
one high in low attic, others high in High attic
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #4

I doubt that's enough ventilation for pushing air towards the openings
What you need is exhaust fan(s) mounted on the inside of those openings pushing air out

I'm moving this to HVAC section for more input

Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

thanks,
I first posted it HVAC but then I noticed it said 'professional'. Doesn't say that now, maybe a different place?

Great picture to exhaust attic, does it throw insulation out? Looks too high for that.

I need one to take air out of the house too. The kind you put in the ceiling and duct to the edge of the house.

Oh, my pictures got lost--I don't care. Don't find them.
Now I don't know where this is.

gail
Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #6

The "HVCA Pro only" is another site linked to ours that is for Pros only
This HVAC area is for DIY people & homeowners

You probably need to push air into this area from the house
AND
exhaust the hot air out of the attic
Keeping the attic cooler will keep the house colloer

So 2 fans or more

As long as the fan is up high enough & sized correctly it will not pull insulation out
Old 02-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailquilter2 View Post
thanks,
I first posted it HVAC but then I noticed it said 'professional'. Doesn't say that now, maybe a different place?

gail
You probably saw the ad header. You had posted the other thread in this forum.

I deleted it now.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #8

Hey, beenthere
When I looked you up for your email, also saw you have lots of friends, I know why, not sure if I'm that kind, but you have another one now.

Thank you so much for looking over my report and making suggestions I really appreciate it.

Thanks also for deleting the thread, there were two to delete, one in Hvac diy and also in appliances. I'd find and delete, but I don't know how.

That ad for HVAC professional sure looks to be a description of this blog. I did the best I could.

I do analyze things, when I was working I would analyze the problem find out what the customer wanted but gave them what they needed, always more than what they wanted, that was my job, second to that my purpose at the company was to make my boss look good. Always raised a few eyebrows until I explained, the customer usually didn't know what could be done, I did. When I explained to the customer to always ask the question early and I could tell them if it is expensive or inexpensive, after the project was done, it would always be expensive. I designed and implemented computer software and never had a complaint. I also repaired software which 'looked' like some of the messes I have seen on the HVAC site. I was the top analyst in my department. Lowest number of fixes after installation.
Because I always analyzed what was needed before I started doing and checked and double checked.

I realized my questions sounded diy so I switched to here.

gailquilter2 -- not to be confused with the gailquilter on this site, I think I got her lunch invitation once for a quilter's group.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Your welcome.
The ones I see in appliance, don't have anything to do with this post. Maybe someone else already deleted it.

Time setting, set it to your area. Go to user CP tab. its near the top left side of the screen.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Your welcome.
The ones I see in appliance, don't have anything to do with this post. Maybe someone else already deleted it.

Time setting, set it to your area. Go to user CP tab. its near the top left side of the screen.
Thanks, found it and I reset time, and old posts automatically changed. The other thread went away.

House fan solution: Close interior doors, open windows and outside doors and run furnace fan. It will suck air in closest windows and blow all the upstairs hot air out all the other rooms. Will take longer than a fan which exchanges all the air in the house in 5 minutes. 2Ton , 800 cfm = one smallish room a minute. so 17 minutes and I don't have to fool with any modifications. Probably fan setting is not that high though.

I will get something for the attic though. Maybe solar. no chance of fire with that I think.
gail
Old 02-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Solar attic fans are becoming more popular.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #12

Smile

The old computer failed and I took a class and fixed it. Replaced hardware and reinstalled windows. Yeah, I can do anything -- almost. Teacher was surprized, kept telling me to junk it. It works fine now. But I am on this new computer and it cannot spell. Nasty keyboard. Also lost passwords until I figured out how to log in tonite.

Ok so I had about 10 HVAC guys out here during 2010 and 2011, all said I needed about a 4 ton A/C but I had already done a Manual J(results were a little less than 1 ton), but they insisted, so I went two winters with no heat, and still no furnace nor a/c.

I finally gave up and let Sears put in a 2.5 ton. that's the largest that would fit in the space which was already wired for it. Code changed since the house was built to require more space between a/c and neighbor's house. I had to sign a waver for them to put in one that small.
The furnace also is somewhat smaller than before(thanks to Manual J) but two stage (couldn't get them to put a smaller one in) The previous furnace left me with a house 10-15 degreese hotter upstair than down, you could feel the temperature difference after going 1/4 the way up the stairs. The old one put out very hot air. Couldn't stand to be near a register.

I gladly signed the waver. So the first summer (had it exactly one year now) I ran the a/c maybe 6 times, 1/2 hour 5 of the days(bet you didn't think I knew what I was doing--what??), then I had to turn it off because it got cold. It did a great job of removing the humidity which is more important to me than the temperature. One day, I think it was the hottest day of the year I came home and ran it 3 hours.

I did have a difficult time getting the two upstairs bedrooms cool at first, one I sleep in, the other is for the computer. Since the registers are above the door the cold goes right back out the door and into the furnace which is 6 inches from the bedroom door and 3 feet away from the den door.

I just closed the doors and the rooms cooled down in a few minutes.

About the furnace..when they got done installing it we turned it on and I got up on a step stool and the air coming out of the duct was warm, nice-- not hot.
No more hot flashes when the heat kicks on. I don't even notice the cold air when running the a/c.

Here's some good stuff--the temperature upstairs and down in the house both winter and summer not more than 1 degree difference, I cannot feel the difference. Nice to have a heated kitchen.
My idea of turning the unit on 'fan only' and opening the upstairs windows in the two hot rooms worked, the cool air from outside comes in kinda strong and gets blown somewhere It is a mystery where all the air goes, I don't bother to open windows downstairs because it is not necessary.

I just got on on a plan with the elec. company to get a $25 rebate each summer month and they can turn off the a/c at will. They didn't turn any off last year. Nice because I just got a new fridge and my elec. bill the first month was $21 so I guess elec will be free in the summer. I think the fridge is malfunctioning though because my usage has now doubled, haven't run the a/c since last year so the new fridge must be the culprit.

I had no idea a/c was so cheap to run, but it was a mild summer last year. Mild winter too.

I'll update if anything interesting happens.
gailquilter2

Last edited by gailquilter2; 06-29-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-29-2012, 03:24 AM   #13
Wire Chewer

I've heard of people mounting a furnace blower in a window and having it suck air out, probably moves more air and is more tolerant of static pressure too. I want to try that out some day if ever I get my hands on one. Have to open other windows obviously.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #14

Talking

I thought it would be nice to have a lever I could push to have fresh air come into the furnace or to direct the outflow to go outside.

The air really comes in through the windows fast. the windows are about 10 feet from the furnace intake. I'm still wondering where it goes out. My ears don't pop so I assume it is ok.

I have not tried the one other upstairs window because I could barely get into that room for a couple years. I'll try it the next warm day, I cleaned up that room last week. that 3rd window is always in the shade and it should pull in cooler air .
Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #15

well sir, nice job on the manual j!!! see it really does work!!! even if you oversized it a bit.

on to your issue. First off, I dont think you have enough attic vents. There is a government code of something like 1sq foot of vent for each 150sq feet of attic floor space....I think that is right, but you might want to google it.

without vents in the attic, the attic gets hot in the summer. In order to vent the attic, natural convection is best, as it will not pull conditioned air from inside the house, through all the little gaps in framing etc in the ceiling and wall tops. You can add a power vent, but you will change the pressure in the attic. Pushing air into the attic will cause hot air to enter the house, through the gaps in the ceiling and walls. Pulling air from the attic will pull the air from the house. so, I think what you want to do is a little of both... maybe two fans??? one to push, one to pull?? offset the pressures and still remove the hot air.

Now, as to pulling cool air into the house when the air outside is cooler then inside, thats a great idea. As is pulling warm air into the house, when the outside air is warmer then then house air. What you need to look at is something called an "economizer". This add on device, allows you to pull air from the outside and circulate it into the house. Note that you will have to have a filter on the incoming air and you will have to open a window (I think).

good luck and nice job on the 21 dollar electrical bill... I can only wish!!!!

bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust fan, large fan, whole house fan