Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Whine from a boiler pump?

About two years ago we had a natural gas Burnham hot water boiler installed after a major basement flood. This new boiler, when operating, creates a very distinct high pitched whine. When I complained to the installer, they stated the circulating pump they installed, not the boiler, causes the whine. They said there is no reliable way to prevent this whine -- however they did say there are stainless steel and rubber bushings that can be installed where the pump connects to the system to minimize the whine; however, they are not very durable and very expensive and not worth the trouble.

I am still faced with the problem of having a heating system that is warm, yet very loud. I have a hard time believing that a product would be developed, like this pump, where there are not reliable alternatives. In addition to the solution above, are there any other ways to get rid of the whine?

formarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Have you called the manufacturer and asked them if this is how it is supposed to sound?

You may be able to replace the spring coupler between the motor and the pump to reduce the noise.

Is there a name plate on the pump?

Last edited by redline; 09-26-2006 at 06:45 PM.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

I think your installer is full of crap. I've got to say that I've installed dozens of boilers in my day. Mind you, that's not a whole lot, but I have yet to hear one whine sufficiently to cause a person to complain. Yes, the Taco pumps are more "whiney" than the Bell & Gossett's, but not bothersome.

Don't take this personal, but I have to ask. Are you the sort of person that is bothered by any least little noise at all? Or is this whine genuinely loud? If it is actually bothersome, I might consider complaining such that they change the pump to another brand. They all bolt up to the same flanges.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote