Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to johnsiddle
Share |

Where to site a heat pump

OK I know this is my second post today but I am all fired up...

If I bought a Air Heat Pump, given the UK weather is not that good summer or winter, where would be the best place to site the unit, in the garage where in winter the air temperature is warmer but cooler in summer or outside in the open air where in summer it will get some direct sun but in winter will get covered in frost, snow and rain, oh and a little sun.

Regards John

johnsiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsiddle View Post
OK I know this is my second post today but I am all fired up...

If I bought a Air Heat Pump, given the UK weather is not that good summer or winter, where would be the best place to site the unit, in the garage where in winter the air temperature is warmer but cooler in summer or outside in the open air where in summer it will get some direct sun but in winter will get covered in frost, snow and rain, oh and a little sun.

Regards John
I put my heat pump on the north side of my house where it will always be shaded from the sun by the house. In the summer there is slightly cooler air on that side of the house. In the winter there is no sun so it doesn't matter.

I made the decision based on what would look the best and what would be farthest away from my bedroom so you don't hear the compressor.. The unit was so quiet anyway so it didn't really matter..

zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
I put my heat pump on the north side of my house where it will always be shaded from the sun by the house. In the summer there is slightly cooler air on that side of the house. In the winter there is no sun so it doesn't matter.

I made the decision based on what would look the best and what would be farthest away from my bedroom so you don't hear the compressor.. The unit was so quiet anyway so it didn't really matter..
Thanks mate, I also thought that maybe to site it in the loft area might be a good place it would then recycle any heat that escaped from the rooms below in the winter and in the summer the roof gets quite hot (when the sun is shining).

Or even on a bracket above the flat roof garage but it would really be open to the elements.
Regards John

Old 11-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
HVAC Tech/Owner

It's supposed to be exposed to the elements. If you put it in the garage, your garage will become un-bearably hot in the summer. It is made to exchange heat to the outdoors.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
It's supposed to be exposed to the elements. If you put it in the garage, your garage will become un-bearably hot in the summer. It is made to exchange heat to the outdoors.
Thanks for your reply, However the garage is not used for a car and we rarely have enough sun in the UK to warrant the use of an A/C (air cooler)

I take your point tho that in the winter the garage will get very cold.

So I guess on a bracket above the garage roof looks good, it will get some winter sun (when we get any) and in the summer the sun is there until 1.30 or so (also when we get any).

The garage wall will make a good entry point into the house also my Solar storage tank is in the garage so I could plumb into that and heat the water when solar is not so good.

thanks for your input.
John
Old 11-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Sunshine on the heat pump won't help it heat your house. The amount of air it moves will render useless any radiant heat that it would have gotten.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Sunshine on the heat pump won't help it heat your house. The amount of air it moves will render useless any radiant heat that it would have gotten.
I thought if the sun was playing on or around it then the air temp in that area would be higher.
So really its a case of fit where it is most convenient.

Thanks guy's
John
Old 11-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Unless your setting it in a parking lot. No benefit from solar gain/radiant heat.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
johnsiddle (11-27-2010)