Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Just call me Andrew

Share |

Where should I put my electric baseboards?

I bought (2) 2500-watt electric baseboards for my 1-car garage. They are 5 feet long each. I have no insulation or drywall in the garage, all the framing is exposed including a peaked roof.

I am hoping that two of the units will handle keeping my cold garage at a manageable temperature. Where is the best place to put the radiators? I can add a third one if necessary, but hopefully I won't need to.

Would the locations I put below be appropriate, or is there a better configuration. Ideally, I'd like the back corners of the garage without heaters so I can pile stuff up in the corners and not get in the way, but best heating takes precedence. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Where should I put my electric baseboards?-garageheat.jpg  

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #2

If i , was you, I would put up some type of faced insulation, and dry wall. If that is out of the question, then at least insulate and put up peg board......to answer your question.....H and B for placement of heaters.But I don't think the heaters will do anything except raise your electric bill with out some insulation.

Last edited by harleyrider; 01-10-2012 at 01:35 PM.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
I have no insulation or drywall in the garage, all the framing is exposed including a peaked roof.
You're spinning your wheels.

Quote:
I am hoping that two of the units will handle keeping my cold garage at a manageable temperature.
23x14x8 (2576 cu ft) @ 1watt/cf = 2576 watts...
---for an insulated and finished space---

Quote:
I bought (2) 2500-watt electric baseboards for my 1-car garage.
Where is the best place to put the radiators?
Won't matter where you put them.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #4

might want to insulate those exposed areas within the garage and put in a false insulated ceiling tile grid to narrow down the cold.it's a waste of time to install resistance heating without sealing out the cold first even rolls of foiled faced insulation and sheets of heavy plastic as a first step....all this just suggestions
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #5

Gosh, heating an uninsulated garage in Albany NY. Forget the electric baseboards, why not just set fire to piles of cash right in the middle of the room?

Sarcasm aside, it would cost you a few hundred bucks and an afternoon to insulate, and you'd make that back very, very quickly.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

B and H. Insulate the walls with fibreglass pink and drywall/sheetrock. Then sheetrock or use OSB plwoood on the ceiling and that will keep the heat in and be comfortable. Otherwise you will need a big gas fired construction htr to do the job. You can rent a lifter from HDepot to hold up the drywall to the ceiling while screwing it on or get a helper. Drywall can eventually sag from moisture if you don't use lots of screws and I would use OSB or plywood but it all depends on the cost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriented_strand_board

Last edited by yuri; 01-10-2012 at 01:58 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
Just call me Andrew

Thanks for all the insight, guys. That was fast.

Guess I'll be insulating. If it were free, i'd already have done it. I wonder if maybe these 2 heaters will at least get the job done this year, and I can insulate next year.

How much would insulation with no drywall do? Is that a waste of money? The ceiling is peaked and there are only a few 2x4s spanning the width on the ceiling. I'd have to frame it if I were to sheetrock., which would turn into a much bigger project.

Really I'd like to just get through this year, even if it is expensive to run, and then insulate (at the very least) next year.

Thoughts?

Old 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

insulation w/o sheetrock will help BUT leaving the ceiling open is going to cause ALL the heat to rise quickly and out. It makes a HUGE difference to close it in plus if you use wood then you can make a hatch and store stuff up there on top of it as long as you don't get carried away with the weight and sag the ceiling. You can also use thick vapor barrier/poly to close it in for a season but not a good idea forever.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Just call me Andrew

I was thinking about putting up a temporary plastic or tarp "ceiling" to at least contain some of the heat loss. What about insulating the underside of the roof with proper vents instead of an osb or drywall ceiling?

Last edited by secutanudu; 01-10-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #10

spending your money is easy with suggestions but if you really insulate those exterior walls and hang a ceiling. all then you'll need is to blast that garage door with a electric unit heater hanging and the place will be workable in the winter...serviced those Sears Auto Stores,and if i had the unit heaters hitting the 2 garage doors at either end of the work area the rest was comfortable..with small rooftop handling the middle with a general duct drop....but if i didn't have the heaters on those doors there was no heat.....in the dead of that 2010 winter we had downstate here on Long Island
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #11

(2) 2500W electric heaters will probably run A LOT in that situation, it will cost a small fortune.

If you do put up insulation, it should be faced, but you should not leave the paper exposed because it's flammable... it should be covered by drywall or some other wall surface.

What are you goals?
- Keep it above freezing? Your electric heaters will do it, but keep them set at 45* or something extremely low...

- Keep it comfortable for the periods you're in there working? The electric baseboards will be bad at this, they don't raise the temp fast enough. You might want to consider some sort of a forced air electric heater mounted on the ceiling where it can blow on you, or some type of ventfree propane heater (they put a lot of moisture in the air however)

- Keep it comfortable all the time? Don't bother to try until you've insulated, drywalled and air sealed. Be sure to insulate the garage door and weatherstrip it as well...
Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Just call me Andrew

My goals are to keep it comfortable for the periods while I'm working. I know baseboards aren't the greatest for that, but they are cheap. If it's 0 degrees out i can live with not working in the garage at that time. Ideally, if it's 20 degrees out i'd like to be able to get the garage to around 50 so I can work in there. That's my main goal. I was thinking a propane-tyle heater to get it up to temp may be good, and then use the baseboards to maintain.

What if I used unfaced insulation but cover with plastic for my vapor barrier? Would I still need drywall then?

So, basically, What if I insulate all the walls with faced insulation (or plastic), the underside of the roof with insulation & proper vents, but install no drywall at all.

Think that would do the job? I'd like to avoid having to frame in a ceiling just for a few months out of the year. I dont plan to spend more than a few hours at a time out there, and not even every day. So i'm not so much worried about cost of operation as I am about effectiveness.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:
My goals are to keep it comfortable for the periods while I'm working. I know baseboards aren't the greatest for that, but they are cheap. If it's 0 degrees out i can live with not working in the garage at that time. Ideally, if it's 20 degrees out i'd like to be able to get the garage to around 50 so I can work in there. That's my main goal. I was thinking a propane-tyle heater to get it up to temp may be good, and then use the baseboards to maintain.
Consider a forced air electric heater... check out Northern Tool or something similar... you'll be putting the heat exactly where you want it and in large enough volume to keep you comfortable. I don't know the prices, but they're relatively simple devices so you might be surprised at the cost. I think having something like that will pay for itself in lower electric use if you're in the garage often.

Quote:
What if I used unfaced insulation but cover with plastic for my vapor barrier? Would I still need drywall then?

So, basically, What if I insulate all the walls with faced insulation (or plastic), the underside of the roof with insulation & proper vents, but install no drywall at all.
Plastic is still flammable, I'm not an expert but I'm fairly sure it should be covered just the same as kraft paper insulation.

Quote:
Think that would do the job? I'd like to avoid having to frame in a ceiling just for a few months out of the year. I dont plan to spend more than a few hours at a time out there, and not even every day. So i'm not so much worried about cost of operation as I am about effectiveness.
You shouldn't need to frame a ceiling, you could put up vent chutes in the rafters for ventilation, then insulate with faced batts, install strapping across that and then put drywall up over it--like a cathedral ceiling.

Though frankly I think with a forced air electric heater you'll be just fine as-is. You can basically look at it as a cost per minute (or hour) for being out there. The problem with the baseboards is that they simply aren't going to keep that place comfortable... you'll end up turning them on well before you enter the place just to be comfortable when you're in there.

I a have a friend who runs a ventless propane heater in his large shed while he works on projects... says it works out well. He leaves the shed door open a bit, and sometimes opens a window, just so he can sure he's not suffocating himself (though w/ ventless in theory you're safe....)
Old 01-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
MarginallyQualified

I suggest that the OP go to Florida when it's this cold.
Or at least to find some OTHER place up there to putter around in until spring.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #15

BTW, something like this is what I was thinking of... it will use 5000W like your two baseboards, but much more effectively for keeping you comfortable.

$250ish is a bit spendy, I thought they were cheaper... but with the fan blowing it will help to push the warm air on you, which is where you want it, not drifting aimlessly up along your walls...