Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

where`s the air adjustment on my old oil furnance

trying to keep my old oil burner going till spring, I replaced the nozzle and filter and have a yellow flame and some odor when it`s running.. I was told it needs to be a blue flame so it needs more air and I cannot find any type of adjustment except what I think is the oil pressure adj.... can any body tell me where to look?.. this is a old oil furnance which I plan on replacing this spring with a heat pump set up but I need it to last a few months more till I get the cash for the new one.

SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

Usually it is located between the oil pump and to where it is bolted to the furnace. It usually looks like a metal strap or band around the base of the pump. If you do not see it this could be because there is oily dirt closing up the holes. Try cleaning around the pump, maybe you dont need to adjust it then. Also if you smell oil during ignition, there is a 99.999% chance the combustion chamber is cracked. This allows the smell to escape into the vents and also allows CARBON MONOXIDE to enter the home too. There is a way to check for a cracked combustion chamber and that is to
1) Turn thermostat all the way down
2) Let furnace shut down and cool down
3) Open peep hole door, and hold an incent stick or other device that smokes like a cigarrett
4) while holding smoking device near peep hole so the smoke is drawn into the furnace, turn on the FAN motor, not the burner motor.
5) watch the smoke, if the stream of smoke is disrupted when the fan is turned on, then its the combustion chamber cracked

Now this does not always work as sometimes the crack will be too small and require the furnace to heat up to expand the metal before it shows itself.

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

one more thing ( help this novice out) how do I just turn the fan motor on......... I just looked at the pump and see what looks like maybe a slider type band that seems to be able to maybe slide like a vent window ? , I`ll try to tinker with it more when I get off work and have tme to get involved with it..........I didn`t notice any smell last year, but I did have a oil line leak in the concrete slab where I had to bust up the concrete and fix it , there was a fair amount of oil that leaked into the gravel under the slab ( don`t know how much ) that I was thinking might be the cause of the smell when I fire it up . I don`t know how much but no telling how long it leaked out of the pin holes in the line till I stared noticing it. had to take out about a foot square where the line went into the slab by the furnance, moving the filter holder around to change it I think caused the leak to become more and more pronounced as I noticed someone before me tried to seal it with silicone ......BTW the way I using electric space heaters till I figure this out and I`m not letting it run except when I working on it ( I`m trying to be safe LOL ) if it`s the heat exchanger it`s trashed... thanks so far for the info
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

I just looked at the pump and see what looks like maybe a slider type band that seems to be able to maybe slide like a vent window ?
yes it is, more than likely. Some models and manufacturers could vary, but it should be.

one more thing ( help this novice out) how do I just turn the fan motor on
This is done by rotating the dial on the limit switch, the one with the 3 different temp settings on it, just turn it untill the fan comes on.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Union HVAC Tech.

Rewards Points: 500

NEVER rotate the dial on the fan limit you will break it and it will never work at the proper temp again. Secondly, if you get a blue flame from an oil burner you have major problems, like you aren't burning oil.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote