Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Where to put a thermal sensor?

I bought a USB relay/sensor controller which I will be incorporating into a custom web based thermostat that I will code. The sensor looks like a transistor, and it also needs a resistor to run. I soldered it on a small piece of plastic so it's a single contained unit. (posted pic)

What I'm wondering is how do I go about placing this somewhere so it looks half decent? Can I just put it in the return vent, at the grille? I'm just afraid I might get bad readings there though.

It almost needs to be exposed and at eye level where I wont be reading the lower cooler temp nor the higher hotter temp, but the middle. Just not sure how to go about doing that without having an actual circuit board on my wall. Or how would I make some kind of casing around it? As something really primitive I'm thinking of maybe mounting it on the wall bare and just have a picture in front of it. Or some other decoration perhaps. Whatever I do, the sensor obviously can't be completely covered or it wont get the proper readings.

I was thinking of just placing it right behind where the thermostat is, but it does not look like there would be clearance for the thermostat's circuit board when I clip the thermostat back on. I still want to keep it as a backup, it will be connected to the heat terminals only.

I have a few ideas in mind, but just wondering if anyone has any other ideas I may have not thought of.
Attached Thumbnails
Where to put a thermal sensor?-dsc04156sm.jpg  

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

There are tons of cheap battery devices sold at places like radio shack that could serve as your case. I'm thinking of one of those lights that are about 5 inches in diameter and you can stick them up anywhere, you just push on the whole unit to turn it on or off. There's got to be some inconspicuous device you can re-purpose that blends in. Alarm sensors are about the same size but the chance of you finding an alarm sensor case on the cheap is slight.

Bobeht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobeht View Post
There are tons of cheap battery devices sold at places like radio shack that could serve as your case. I'm thinking of one of those lights that are about 5 inches in diameter and you can stick them up anywhere, you just push on the whole unit to turn it on or off. There's got to be some inconspicuous device you can re-purpose that blends in. Alarm sensors are about the same size but the chance of you finding an alarm sensor case on the cheap is slight.
You know what, I just got an idea that might work perfect, it never occured to me till now. I have a clock right over my TV, and there is 3 wall plate jacks below it. They would serve as a point to put my hand so I can stick the wire through the hole. That would be my main floor sensor, and should match more or less with the thermostat's reading.

Good idea about those lights, I may look at using one of those. Those battery boxes may work too. I can then paint it the same color as the wall (I still have left over paint for most, if all the rooms)
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

televisions throw off alot of heat
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote