Where To Duct Laundry Vent In Attic? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 294

where to duct laundry vent in attic?

Not sure if this is right forum or the HVAC one is better.

Inspecting attic, found that the laundry room vent is not properly ducted in the attic. Seems a previous home owner made attempt to duct it but decided not to go through due to whatever constraints. Fan works, just not ducted.

I plan to reroof in a few years and considering addressing this when I reroof.

See photos for reference.

The vent fan is located near an outside wall as well as the roof above. Not sure if better to make a hole in wall (if possible, there's a wood joist? where the wall is) for soffit vent for a straight duct connection, or whether to use a 90 degree duct from fan opening up to the roof making a hole for a vent. Distance is short either way. Which is easier, cheaper to install, and/or will vent better?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dl1zdz2kkv...aundryvent.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onvwlorbwz...undryvent2.jpg

Advertisement

daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Wow, that's tight!

So that flexible ducting is just lying there, it's not going outside anywhere?

What exactly does that exhaust fan do? At first I thought you meant the dryer vent but then you say it's a laundry room vent fan. I've never heard of that...

If you had a wall nearby, that's the best place to come out of. I wouldn't come out of the soffit, it's very tight in there so it's hard to work and the soffit isn't the best place to vent since that humid air can be sucked right back up. I would probably turn the exhaust fan around so it faces the other direction and vent it out of the roof a couple feet away. Just make a nice wide sweep upwards.

Also, do something about those exposed connections! All splices should be in a box!

Advertisement

Gensetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #3

Thanks for suggestions. I'll consider them when making the repair. Not using the fan right now, don't think need to based on amount of heat/moisture generated when we dry.

The fan is on the ceiling of laundry room for venting out moisture during drying I believe. Typical to see where laundry room has no windows (some with windows still have them as option/fallback).

Repositioning the fan housing the other direction is probably best. Don't see how I could vent to wall otherwise, because the other walls are far away or an inside wall. The other option is to duct down through ceiling to the outside wall exposing some of the ducting in the laundry room, not very pretty.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Straight through the roof deck if you can take it that way would be best.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,696

Unless your dryer is completely different than ours that exhaust fan is if no value when the dryer is in operation . In fact there is a real possibility the dryer blower/ fan is going pull air in reverse through the exhaust fan .
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Unless your dryer is completely different than ours that exhaust fan is if no value when the dryer is in operation . In fact there is a real possibility the dryer blower/ fan is going pull air in reverse through the exhaust fan .
That is exactly what is happening.....dryer pulls in air from the room...heats it..pushes it through the drum...and vents to outside....

Go outside....feel the air coming out of your dryer vent....that is how much air is being sucked out of the room.

I personally would take out that vent fan and drywall the hole closed.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. But in that case, why would people install vent fans or have a window (excluding for "beauty", lighting, or home cooling purposes) in laundry room?

So in theory we don't have to worry about moisture/humidity from the heat generated by the dryer, like say during colder winters or a hot humid summer (though the latter is not likely in northern California)?

I assume that's what the vent fan or a window was for. And that homebuilders would have accounted for the issue of vent fans conflicting with dryer pulling air. I did see one of these laundry vent fans in a newly built home in 2008, which also had a window in the room as well.

Only place I notice no vent fan, and sometimes no window is when laundry room is the garage since I guess concern for moisture issues wasn't really an issue there, or not a code requirement back then when this was the laundry room design.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Probably because the older dryers were not as good at sealing against the release of humidity.

The newer units are pretty darn tight and get a majority of it out of the shell (provided the ducts are clear and flowing well).
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
daluu (11-09-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

Any chance the room 'used' to be a bathroom and was converted?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,064

If the dryer is gas fueled, the fan may be required: http://www.dpis.com/News/2008_11.pdf

The ducting may need to be metal and other requirements per code (3' termination from house openings- windows, doors, air supplies, etc.). I'll move you to "HVAC" for more responses...

Gary
Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16
Any chance the room 'used' to be a bathroom and was converted?
No, it's part of a house addition. I am assuming the fan was added (thinking or not that it was required) per code, or owner's assumption it was good common practice.

And as mentioned earlier, I have seen such fan in laundry room in newly built home (in Texas).
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

a fart fan in the laundry room is not needed

Advertisement

mrairflow is offline   Reply With Quote