Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Share |

Where to buy replacement part

My Trane XL80 just threw it's hands in the air and quit. Trouble codes indicate a "Thermal protection device open". I checked the device and it is 'open circuit' according to DVOM. The part number is c340056p15. Where would I be able to find one tomorrow morning in the Philadelphia area? Thank you for any input. Bob
Axitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

HI BOB ,BASED ON YOUR THERMAL PROTECTION RESPONCE IT SOUNDS LIKE A POSSIBLE RESETABLE FLAME ROLL OUT SWITCH,IF YOU LOOK NEAR WHERE YOUR BURNERS ARE YOU MIGHT SEE ONE ,OR SEVERAL HALF INCH ROUND FLAME SENSORS ,MANY HAVE A RED RESET ON TOP OF THEM ,IF YOURS DOES,YOU CAN PUSH THEM DOWN WITH YOUR FINGER TO RESET.eITHER WAY IT INDICATES A PROBLEM,POSSIBLE FLUE BLOCKAGE,SHOT INDUCER BAIRINGS ,OR SOMETHING RELATED TO EXHAUSTING COMBUSTION GASES ,ANYWAY GOOD LUCK,HOPE THIS HELPS
DELTA.T4935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #3

I looked, no reset buttons anywhere like you described. I did do a check of the resistance on the high limit switch. It was open. I ran a jumper wire across the two leads and the heater came to life. The part is not locateable on the net on it's part number. I did a more through search and found it listed as a SWT1273 Trane High limit switch. I juast need an idea where to go to purchase one in the morning. I'm in Philadelphia, Pa.
Axitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axitech View Post
I looked, no reset buttons anywhere like you described. I did do a check of the resistance on the high limit switch. It was open. I ran a jumper wire across the two leads and the heater came to life. The part is not locateable on the net on it's part number. I did a more through search and found it listed as a SWT1273 Trane High limit switch. I juast need an idea where to go to purchase one in the morning. I'm in Philadelphia, Pa.
typically a wholesale supply house will not sell to you over the counter. Best to call a trane dealer and ask them if they can get you the part.

Those limits don't just fail, and should NEVER be left jumpered out. it is a safety device and is there for a reason. check your filter and the evap coil to see if either are plugged. also check your blower operation.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 AM   #5

Pull the limit out and lightly tap it. Sometimes that will get them to close again for some temp heat untill a replacement is purchased. As stated the cause of the overheating will need to be found and corrected.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:02 AM   #6

LYON CONKLIN
133 HARTMAN RD
NORTH WALES, PA 19454

TOZOUR TRANE
741 1ST AVE
KING OF PRUSSIA PA 19406

Don't know if they will deal with you though. Good luck.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

local Graingers carries W/R fan/hi limit disc if that's the style ...filter coils squirrel fins something is making that Heat-X temp rise ON fan should take it down to 150F range

Last edited by biggles; 01-18-2012 at 12:01 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #8

I would do a tempeture rise check on frunace...thats the difference between plenium hot air..and the return air....compared to chart on furnace...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote