Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Whats a good quiet furnace?

I'm buying a condo which has the heating system inside closet. I want to replace it with something quiet or better yet, a silent unit. I'm not sure what it is, but I think it's the furnace and A/C unit in one place.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

If its a single package unit in teh closet, and you can see part of it fromoutside.
Its called a Magicpak.

Your not going to find one that is really quiet though.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

If you have space - a minisplit heat pump unit is quiet and can provide both heat and AC. I added a 1.5 ton Friedrich unit to a sun room addition and it performs great. Its much like the heat/ac units you find below the window in a hotel room - but the difference is they locate the loud - compressor portion separately (up to ~10-20 feet away) from the inside unit. The inside uint is operated by remote control - and has a fan and heat exchanger. It is quite quiet. Cost ~ $1,500 via internet. I installed it myself except final AC hook up @ $200. IF this doesn't work - then the motel room types will work - but are louder.
NorthernNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Can anyone with a solid repair background help me out. I'm on the fence deciding on a new HE Furnace 70-80k BTU and tired of smoke and mirrors from several Sales People. Warranty beyond year one to five seems to be tied to service contracts. I prefer to do my own sched maint abd don't want to be in a lurch for parts if I buy something with proprietory parts. So many people are bashing the competitions failures it's hard to see through the fog. So who satnds up and makes quality backed product and delivers when there is a warranty issue?
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

All the major brands do.

But, warranty parts come through the distributor that the unit was bought from.

If you try to get warranty parts from a different distributor then the selling one. They are entittled to charge you a handling fee.
Many charge a large fee for it, since they didn't make any money from the sell.

Most distributors are wholesale only. So you still will most likely have to use the local dealer for warranty parts.

All warranty parts are proprietory.

EG: They aren't giving you the full price for a generic part you get from some where else, if any.
So you could spend 80 bucks for an aftermarket part, but the warranty part credit, is only 20 bucks.

The 5 year part warranty isn't tied to a service contract by the common brand name companies. Its standard.
Only extended labor, or part warranties past 5 years, are service contract related.

No manufacturer, has an extended labor and part warranty, that doesn't require a service contract, or annual service to be performed by a company.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote