Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

what would you do for zone dampers?

Since I am planning on completly redoing the trunk line from the furnace, I am of course going to zone it per floor of the house... the options though are round 6" dampers on every branch off the trunk.... or single larger rectangle dampers at the furnace right after the plenum connects to the trunk...

seems like round could be costly... I'd have at lest 25 of them, compared to maybe 6 rectangle dampers (there are two trunk lines one each direction, not sure how the rectangle ones would fit if it was reduced to only 3)

are there limits to the number of dampers? I assume this is only limited by the amount of power they draw from the transformer that powers them.

should I just put the efford into planning for recangular dampers?

are there any advantages to rectangular ones? do they seal better? they seem to have more to them interms of loovers compared to round that is just like a manual round damper plus a gasket around where it closes...

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like you are planning a (2) zone system, therefore you would have to lay your ducting out to provide (2) distinct zones, upstairs feed and downstairs feed.

You could then use dampers in each of the (2) trunk lines to isolate each based on demand.

Usually (2) zone systems such upstairs / downstairs are (2) furnaces (1) up and (1) down.

Mark

Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Sounds like you are planning a (2) zone system, therefore you would have to lay your ducting out to provide (2) distinct zones, upstairs feed and downstairs feed.

You could then use dampers in each of the (2) trunk lines to isolate each based on demand.

Usually (2) zone systems such upstairs / downstairs are (2) furnaces (1) up and (1) down.

Mark
3 zones actually, basement, 1st and 2nd floor... no room for 2 or even three furnaces ... just a simple zoning off a single furnace
Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Well its actually not simple zoning as you have to match fan speeds with zone demands, you just can't have a single fan speed.

And when you start messing with fan speeds then you have to ensure that your temperature rise across your heat exchanger remains in specification.

Mark
BlueBSH (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Well its actually not simple zoning as you have to match fan speeds with zone demands, you just can't have a single fan speed.

And when you start messing with fan speeds then you have to ensure that your temperature rise across your heat exchanger remains in specification.

Mark
well the new furnace I am supose to be getting with it's zoning panel / controller is supose to (according to the trane dealer....) make up for all that when it has the appropriate sized ducts and bypass / DATS

I hope...

Last edited by BlueBSH; 03-14-2011 at 12:44 PM.