DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   What would you charge? I think this is too much. (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/what-would-you-charge-i-think-too-much-4017/)

wackerjr 09-22-2006 12:10 AM

What would you charge? I think this is too much.
 
I have a question for you. I had a central unit moved. I did all the labor. The technician came over and drew the refrdgerant into the unit .5 hours and then came back the next day and ONLY added 10 feet of lineset, and soldered 2 joints. Added the extra Ref. for the lineset addition. and thats it. I handled the move of the unit. had the electrical done. And such. He was here for 3.5 hours to solder the 2 joints, and add the needed refridgerant.

I have got a few bids on this and think what they are charging is a bit on the high side. I am also getting charged for 30' of lineset, when it was only 10'

Thoughts?

adoble 09-23-2006 08:28 PM

How are we supposed to comment if you don't tell us the price? If you got charged $5 I'd say you got a deal, if you got charged $1,000 I'd say you got ripped off.

mdshunk 09-23-2006 08:52 PM

About 600-700 dollars in central PA.

wackerjr 09-27-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adoble (Post 19005)
How are we supposed to comment if you don't tell us the price? If you got charged $5 I'd say you got a deal, if you got charged $1,000 I'd say you got ripped off.


I did not want to sway what pricing may be... I am not sure on how pricing works, and just wanted some prices to compare to mine.

I don't know the labor rate, and am being charged for 30' of lineset when 10' was used. If this is standard practice then ok.


So here is the breakdown.

.5 hours first day to pull Refridgerant back into unit.

I moved the unit, leveled, wired, etc.

next day tech came out for 3.5 hours (is this really how long it takes?)
to install 10' of lineset, outside mind you, and solder 2 joints. I would have handled the solder but did not know about having to pressurize the line with nitrogen.

In this 3.5 hours als o added 1lb of freon for the added lineset.

This was the extent of the work.

So I am just wondering on pricing. If all come in around what I paid I willl shut up and pay the bill...

Double A 09-27-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wackerjr (Post 19400)
I am not sure on how pricing works, and just wanted some prices to compare to mine.

So I am just wondering on pricing. If all come in around what I paid I willl shut up and pay the bill...

Was the company that did this work licensed, bonded, and/or insured?
Did the tech have an EPA certification?
Are they offering any warranty for the workmanship?
Did you get more than one proposal for the work?

You couldn't do the work for one reason or another, so you hired it out. Now you're getting cyber-estimates on the work, site-unseen from a bunch of folks on the Internet?

Are you serious!? Do your due diligence before hand, not after, and quit looking to bargain for a lower rate after the work is done. If you knew what the job was going to cost you before hand, in either billable hours or total cost, you have no room to negotiate. Especially since you called them to do the work, not the other way around.

What you're doing is insulting and petty. You're going to hold this money hostage because you didn't do your homework. Wow, that is just unfathomable.

What do you plan on doing if you decide not to pay and get a leak on one of his joints? Not pay the person that repairs the leak because you still think you're overpaying for specialized training, special tools, special certifications, licensing, insurance, bonding, and the convenience of having this work done at the mercy of your schedule?

wackerjr 09-28-2006 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double A (Post 19401)
Was the company that did this work licensed, bonded, and/or insured?
Did the tech have an EPA certification?
Are they offering any warranty for the workmanship?
Did you get more than one proposal for the work?

You couldn't do the work for one reason or another, so you hired it out. Now you're getting cyber-estimates on the work, site-unseen from a bunch of folks on the Internet?

Are you serious!? Do your due diligence before hand, not after, and quit looking to bargain for a lower rate after the work is done. If you knew what the job was going to cost you before hand, in either billable hours or total cost, you have no room to negotiate. Especially since you called them to do the work, not the other way around.

What you're doing is insulting and petty. You're going to hold this money hostage because you didn't do your homework. Wow, that is just unfathomable.

What do you plan on doing if you decide not to pay and get a leak on one of his joints? Not pay the person that repairs the leak because you still think you're overpaying for specialized training, special tools, special certifications, licensing, insurance, bonding, and the convenience of having this work done at the mercy of your schedule?


WOW dude you are funny, attacking someone when you dont know the whole picture.

THE ONLY reason I did not do the job is the pressuriztion with nitrogen in the lines before solder. I have the tools for the refridgerant.....oh but I am not certified and decided better for the ozone.

BELIEVE me I do my home work, and where did I say I was holding it from them?

I have used this company many many times in the past and they were even my customer at one time for many years.

Yes I used them because I know about the certifications needed for handling refridgerant, it is the same in autos.

I also got a price before hand, I was told 75 bucks....now granted we originally were not going to need any lineset, where we were moving the unit we could atach the old lineset. We looked at where we were going to move it and decided it would be better just to move it 10 feet to the side and all the work would then be outside work, and nothing in the finished ceiling. I am currently finishing the basement.


Now I also called about 6 other shops in town and was quoted, with the lineset mind you, about 250 this sounds reasonable to me. I agree the original plan had changed and we went from just pumping back the refridgerant to the unti, and soldering 2 fittings, in 2 days time.......to now soldering 2 fittings, and adding 10' of lineset, and 1lb or so of refridgerant(for the now longer line) I have priced the lineset and found it for around 75-100 dollars for a 30' roll. We used 10' And I have no clue on refridgerant costs. Autos were around 20 bucks a lb.

SO 75 bucks to solder 2 fittings, and come out for 2 days like we had originally discussed. 100 bucks for the lineset, and 20 or so for the refridg. TOok him an hour more then we had originally thought, we were thinking 2-2.5 hours took 3.5, so 50? for labor?

75
100
20
50
___
245

right in line with what I have been told from the other companies.

I am being charged 450.

And the tech that was out here to pull the refridgerant back in the pump was suprised at the price as well....


So dude get off your high horse. if they will not explain to me the price, and why I am getting charged for 30' of lineset instead of 10' I guess the many many thousands of dollars and the many many more I have to send there way will go by the way side. I have used this company for 15 years, and just cant get an answer........

So here is the deal, dude. I was trying to get an Idea of "others" pricing on this to see if maybe the 250 was low..........so dont go attacking me when you dont know the whole story, I wanted to simply get pricing to compare, to the other quotes I got.this would not dictate my payment, it is only to restore the confidence in a company I have done wrk with for many years.........They will get paid the 450 if they wont explain it to me.....but I would like to know I am stil being treated fairly. I dont think it is unfathumable to want more of an explination of work.



on edit: yes they are a reputable compan all certs and insurances.

mdshunk 09-28-2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wackerjr (Post 19502)
THE ONLY reason I did not do the job is the pressuriztion with nitrogen in the lines before solder. I have the tools for the refridgerant.....oh but I am not certified and decided better for the ozone..

You don't have a clue. If you pressureize the lineset with Nitrogen, you will never be able to "solder" it. If the system is pressurized, the last fitting you try to "solder" will spit the solder back out at you. It's called "nitrogen purge". You don't pressureize anything. You allow a very low flow of nitrogen to flow openly through the lineset (and out a removed schrader core in a service valve) while you "solder" it. And, you don't solder refrigerant lines anyhow. You braze them. Big difference.

Oh, by the way, pay your bill. If it was so simple, you shoulda done it yourself.

Typical.

harleysilo 09-29-2006 10:17 AM

:laughing: You guys are terrible! I'm dying over here!

So last time I had to install an outside unit we removed the refrigerant, pumped the lines down to a vacum. Cut them, lengthened them. Brazed them, and then brought the system down to a vacuum again, and then re-filled with freon. Was that right? I was a maintenance man for a year and helped my boss do many things we weren't certified to do. I was young and thought he new everything!hahahhah

What's this nitrogen thing?

wackerjr 09-29-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdshunk (Post 19503)
You don't have a clue. If you pressureize the lineset with Nitrogen, you will never be able to "solder" it. If the system is pressurized, the last fitting you try to "solder" will spit the solder back out at you. It's called "nitrogen purge". You don't pressureize anything. You allow a very low flow of nitrogen to flow openly through the lineset (and out a removed schrader core in a service valve) while you "solder" it. And, you don't solder refrigerant lines anyhow. You braze them. Big difference.

Oh, by the way, pay your bill. If it was so simple, you shoulda done it yourself.

Typical.

Wow thanks for clearing that up, Sorry I spoke it in laymans terms...

I am aware of how it all works, I am also aware of why you use nitrogen. Has to do with the flaking of the inside of the pipe, so your chit dont get all plugged up......dude you live up to your name well.

So any one out there that dont what to be a jack ass, want to respond? Believe me I am not looking for ammo here, and this was the reason I did not want to post anything. I just wanted a ball park for what a job like this goes for, then douche stepped in.

coolmen 09-29-2006 10:57 PM

I would have charged you around 500.00.keep in mind of over head cost for my buisness to run.You should have been informed of total cost before the job started with a signed proposal.
I disconnected a/c and re connected back in the same exacte spot for homeowner and charged 350.00 here in jersey

wackerjr 09-30-2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmen (Post 19605)
I would have charged you around 500.00.keep in mind of over head cost for my buisness to run.You should have been informed of total cost before the job started with a signed proposal.
I disconnected a/c and re connected back in the same exacte spot for homeowner and charged 350.00 here in jersey


Thank you finally some one constructive.

Believe me I know about overhead. I ran a autobody business for 15 years.And I did get a price from him.....but the thing that is bothering me the most is the tech, who is related to the owner by the way. Said it sounded high to him as well and he would talk to him....especially where I was doing the move of the unit, the electrical, and such. I am not asking for a handout by anymeans. I just have wanted a explination of charges. I want to know why I am charged for 30' of lineset.....when it was 10' And if I am paying for 30' I want the other 20' I paid for it.

I was thinking in the 250-350 range. If I could get someone to call me back(I have made 3 cals to the company) and just give me a simple explination of the charges.....I might be more suseptable to pay the 450 even.....if I understood why?

Thans for your input, would the 500 be with you handling electrical? or doing the job just as I stated before? which was soldering 2 fittings and add 1 lb of refridgerant, and 10' of lineset.(4.0 hours total) also what is the labor rate in your area?

Thanks

coolmen 09-30-2006 09:22 PM

You want to find a reason to not pay the full amount billed, RIGHT.You say you was willing to pay any wheres from 250 to 350 im betting 250.00. If you the homeowner did not have a AGREED price before the start of the job.Then I hope you would learn a lesson. If i were to relocate an a/c (no electrical) im chargeing you a min of 500.00 depending on the size of lineset,length of lineset,refrigerant charge,how far traveling to job. copper is not cheap.and if you wanted me to break down the total cost of parts, labor I would not bother even showing up to your place.reading the other threads leads me to believe that if i was to come fix your a/c and all it needed was 50 cent filter.I would bill you 90.00 and you would call my office 10 X hopeing not to pay.yeks
As long as your house is cooling then just pay up.I did have in the past have to adjust cost of jobs due to some unforseable problem.

wackerjr 09-30-2006 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmen (Post 19650)
You want to find a reason to not pay the full amount billed, RIGHT.You say you was willing to pay any wheres from 250 to 350 im betting 250.00. If you the homeowner did not have a AGREED price before the start of the job.Then I hope you would learn a lesson. If i were to relocate an a/c (no electrical) im chargeing you a min of 500.00 depending on the size of lineset,length of lineset,refrigerant charge,how far traveling to job. copper is not cheap.and if you wanted me to break down the total cost of parts, labor I would not bother even showing up to your place.reading the other threads leads me to believe that if i was to come fix your a/c and all it needed was 50 cent filter.I would bill you 90.00 and you would call my office 10 X hopeing not to pay.yeks
As long as your house is cooling then just pay up.I did have in the past have to adjust cost of jobs due to some unforseable problem.

onedit: I have stated many times in this thread I am not looking to pay a lower amount. I just want ideas of how much others charge. I have many quotes here in Utah for the same job. so therefore I am not looking for a reason.

I am not trying to get out of anything. Price is not an issue. From what I am hearing if I read you correct...you will not explain your price to the consumer.. just take it as it is.....man I wish I lived in all these other parts of the country, my businesses would have been so much better off. Just tell people this is my price and take it as it is.....you dont need to know what I am charging or how I charge for it, you just pay the bill. No wonder the HVAC market is suched a whored out market like any other service industry.


Anyway I am through here. I got my answers. And I have already paid the bill......along time ago. Just was doing some research. and you guys have been nothing but help....:no: :thumbsup: :( :(

wackerjr 09-30-2006 11:08 PM

you know all I want from the company is somehting like this.

4.0 hours @ 65 an hour
30' of lineset (and to let me know why I am being charged for 30 instead of 10. And if that is the case I would like the 20' I paid for)
1lb of refridgerant @50 bucks.
Service fee 200 bucks

or whatever I am sorry I think ANY consumer has a right to know what they are paying for....not just an invoice stating

30' lineset hookup and charge..............$450.00

Is that to much to ask? I think not.

As I have said many many many times in this thread before. I just want to know WHY? That is all if it all adds up to 450 then I will pay that amount. that is all.

coolmen 10-01-2006 03:36 PM

The only one who can truly give you the right answer is the company that did the work.
Good luck


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.