What Temperature Should I Be Receiving From My Vents When It Is 100 Degrees Outside? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

What temperature should I be receiving from my vents when it is 100 degrees outside?

I have a 4 ton unit in a 1800 square foot house.

Advertisement

blarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 882

What temperature should I be receiving from my vents when it is 100 degrees outside?

depends where you live, temp and how humid it is inside and out, age and condition of unit, freon level etc etc.

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
depends where you live, temp and how humid it is inside and out, age and condition of unit, freon level etc etc.
I live in south Louisiana and the temp. is in the mid 90s with high humidity. The unit/house is 10 years old and freon is full. gauges show 75 and 240
blarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

You need to check delta T ( temperature difference between return and after coil ) normally 20F.

-Your house has temp 85F. You should be able to get 65F at register, if the ducts aren't gaining any heat. As soon as the house temp getting down the temp at the register will get down also.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

65, I get 48 at my vents, regardless what the outside temp is.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

WOW you leave your house at 65f.....you really like cool

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

No, I leave my house at 72.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #8

45 degrees to max 58 degrees is what you should get at the supply registers. This is providing your system was sized correct for 105 to 110 degree condensing temperature, and your condenser is cleannnnnnnnnnnnn.

One problem that is really showing up because of the extremely hot weather we have been having are dirty condensers. Even though they dont look dirty on the surface of the fins you will find deep in the fins the dirt has accumulated and increases the head pressure, the suction follows thus reducing the capacity of the system.
A good biodegradeble condenser cleaner should be used to clean the coil.
Artco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,746

Quote:
Thaw would indicate an air flow well under 400 CFM.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarose View Post
I live in south Louisiana and the temp. is in the mid 90s with high humidity. The unit/house is 10 years old and freon is full. gauges show 75 and 240
No way to know if your system is low on charge or not with just pressure readings. Would need to know SH and SC to know.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Thaw would indicate an air flow well under 400 CFM.
You have no way of determining a system cfm through the Internet. If in reply to what my output temp is on my vents, trust me, my system was properly sized, and the cfm is correct for both heating & cooling. As for the OP problem, who knows without placing hands on the unit, what their problem is. First thing I would be looking at is insulation of the house, weatherstripping, caulking, etc, before I would even say that their system is not running correctly. Especially on the Internet.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
You have no way of determining a system cfm through the Internet. If in reply to what my output temp is on my vents, trust me, my system was properly sized, and the cfm is correct for both heating & cooling. As for the OP problem, who knows without placing hands on the unit, what their problem is. First thing I would be looking at is insulation of the house, weatherstripping, caulking, etc, before I would even say that their system is not running correctly. Especially on the Internet.
If you getting a 48F supply air temp with your house temp at 72F no matter how hot it is outside. I can easily, and accurately say you are not moving 400CFM per ton. Weather I am at your house, or 1500 miles away on the internet.

A 24F delta, ain't gonna happen at 400 CFM per ton, when its 95F outside, and the indoor temp is 72.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Beenthere, again my system works as it was designed, and again you have no way of diagnosing a system on the Internet in how it was designed. Rest assured, my system works within the spec's that it was designed, and runs as it should, regardless what the indoor & outdoor temp is.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Beenthere, again my system works as it was designed, and again you have no way of diagnosing a system on the Internet in how it was designed. Rest assured, my system works within the spec's that it was designed, and runs as it should, regardless what the indoor & outdoor temp is.
Don't believe I said anywhere that it isn't working as designed. Just said your Not moving 400 CFM per ton.

Since you say its working as designed. how much air is it moving? How much air was it "designed" to move?

PS: We regularly diagnose HVAC systems over the internet on a daily/hourly basis.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

It is set up at 890 1st stage, 1435cfm in 2nd stage, as it was designed to do, per the manufacturer spec's (Lennox signature series, model G61PV-36B-70). btw, thought that we were talking about helping the op, not diagnosing my system.

Advertisement

Last edited by gregzoll; 07-23-2011 at 09:09 PM.