DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   HVAC (
-   -   What is this switch called? (

Plumbvoltage 02-15-2009 10:03 AM

What is this switch called?
Just wondering what is the name of the safety switch that looks like a black eye mounted on the red jb cover mounted near the furnace/boiler called? Does it work off heat or does it actually melt out? Thanks.

yuri 02-15-2009 10:08 AM

Need to post a pic of it. It may be a heat detector and wired into the fire alarm panel if you have one. They are a warp switch I believe.

Plumbvoltage 02-15-2009 10:19 AM

I'll try to get a pic of it. Going out with the family for a little while will try this afternoon.

Plumbvoltage 02-15-2009 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the switch. It says it is a thermal switch so I assume it breaks the contacts when it reaches a set temp.

yuri 02-15-2009 07:56 PM

Is this a single family residence? Do you have a fire panel? I have seen homes that had tenants and the fire code made them put a panel in with pull stations, heat detectors. When any of them activate it breaks the power to the furnace/boiler.

Plumbvoltage 02-15-2009 08:04 PM

This is a single family dwelling and there is no fire panel just one of these by the furnace/boiler the standard emerg switch at the top of the stairs and wired smokes and a few smoke/co detectors throughout.

yuri 02-15-2009 08:16 PM

Hang in there, we have some electricians on this site. If not you may want to get a local one to look at it. Red plate usually means fire panel/emergency device.

Plumbvoltage 02-15-2009 08:24 PM

I know it is an emergency device wired to the boiler. I am just wanting to know what is it called and wanted to know if it melts out and would need to be replaced if there ever was an issue. I know how it is wired in.

jerryh3 02-15-2009 08:45 PM

Does it say Firetrol anywhere on it?

Plumbvoltage 02-15-2009 08:54 PM


Originally Posted by jerryh3 (Post 230933)
Does it say Firetrol anywhere on it?

No it doesn't. It does say Inner-Tite Corp

Plumbvoltage 02-16-2009 08:54 PM

I got it. It is a fusable link that melts out at 165 degrees. The center just pulls out and has a metal spring like contacts inside.

KayJay 02-16-2009 09:52 PM

Those are generically known in the trade as a Firomatic thermal switch.
In my area, they are used mainly with oil burners in conjunction with Firomatic thermal valves at both the fuel oil tank outlet and oil burner fuel unit inlet.

chris75 02-16-2009 10:03 PM

Its a thermal cut out, only required for oil fired appliances. Not an electrical code by the way.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1