Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What Size A/C unit for my house

I have a 1300 SF house and I live in N. California where we get a few days above 100 a years but on advantage in the low to mid 90's during the summer. My A/C unit is the original unit installed when the house was built about 20 years ago. It seems to be working fine but I don't want it to fail in the middle of one our spells of 100 so I want to go ahead and replace it.

Would a 1.5 ton unit be the right size for a 1300SF house?

Thanks

Last edited by Sundance2012; 03-20-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Sundance2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,528

Maybe, maybe not.

What size do you have now?

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
plummen (03-21-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

Maybe a 5 ton, maybe a 2 ton, maybe no ton at all. No way anyone on a web forum is going to be able to tell you, since every home is different, including if the one next door is a exact twin, built by the same builder, they may not use the same size uni.

I have a 2 ton in my home, since I have no insulation in the walls, and enough in the attic, 820 sq foot main floor, 820 sq foot basement. Calc's came out stating a 1.5 ton, but after they crunched further numbers on my home, it came out that the 2 ton was better. So really no way anyone can answer your question, since it is what is called a "loaded" question.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Whats the model number off whats in there now?
The efficiency has changed greatly on units in last 20 years so you could even possibly down size a little,depends on rest of house.
Either way if you have a new 410a unit installed you need to look for a new coil also.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Whats the model number off whats in there now?
The efficiency has changed greatly on units in last 20 years so you could even possibly down size a little,depends on rest of house.
Either way if you have a new 410a unit installed you need to look for a new coil also.
A higher efficiency 2 ton has no more cooling ability then an older low efficiency 2 ton does.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
plummen (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

What is your heat and cooling loads? Without proper calculations you are only guessing at best. so is any contractor offering information without properly inspecting your air leakage of the home, the amount and condition of all existing insulation, quality and type of windows and much more. For example: a 1500 sq foot house with poor insulation and a 5500 cfm/hr leakage may need a 2 ton unit or better. But a well sealed and insulated home of the same size might only need a 18K heat pump.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote