Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Lightbulb

What size AC?

House is a 1971 concrete block ranch, 1480 sq ft, double attached garaage (not conditioned) 5 windows facing S.W. (3 are small-bath & bedrooms). Attic sealed and insulated recently to R31. Attic has original (1971) rectangular sheet metal ducts (internally insulated).
Original oil fired furnace works but I never use it. (Live in hot humid Tampa, FL) My intent is to replace with A/C and Electric heat (rarely use) or heat pump W/ strips. Gas is not in the area. Temp here gets up around 92 (now) and rarely gets down below 40 in Jan (only a day or 2 at a time as a cold front passes through) Heat pump heat operation is not a big consideration here. Present A/C condensor is 19yrs old. Air handler is original (38 yrs old)
Contractors have tried to sell me up to 4 Ton units. Originally came with a no Seer 2 1/2 Ton Chrysler temp.
My question: Can i get a 2 1/2 T to work again with the attic insulation improvements (R31), tinted glass, window awnings on SW windows, sealed up attic holes, garage attic access blocked off, new light colored roof w/ ridge vents? Or am I wasting my money trying to get a 2 1/2T to work? House is going to be a rental but I don`t want tennants moving out because of being uncomfortable in the summer. House has 200A box.
What suggestions have you?

mikgills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #2

What size AC?

Welcome to this site, I hope someone answered you!
Be safe, Gary

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
Remodeler

What size AC?

A rule of thumb is 1 ton does 500 sq' of well insulated space with good doors and windows. So your 2.5 ton unit should suffice.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote