Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #1

Share |

What kind of hot water????

Ok, well I have my first HOME, not my first property, but I am married, and now i have a home. So It is currently running on Oil heat. The boiler is older then me, it is an American standard, that heats the hot water and the water for the Heat. I am going to Convert to Gas, but Now I am debating between a standard hot water heater, OR a on demand Hot water heater....I like the On demand, save gas, never run out of hot water, but are there other benefits.....any help would be great! Thanks, and I am sure I will be on this forum an awful lot.

IFLYFORALIVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #2

What kind of hot water????

Are you staying with a boiler system or putting in ductwork and installing a gas furnace with ac? If you are staying with a boiler system why not use the boiler system to heat the hot water. If you install a high effiency boiler with a modulating gas valve you can also use it to heat your hot water as well and save $$ in the long run because of not having to install 2 seperate pieces of equipment that do basically the same thing. One of the draw backs of on-demand water heater is initial cost. The draw back of using the boiler to heat your water is if it breaks down you will be without hot water as well.

I'm installing a new high efficient gas boiler that will also heat my hot water as well, but I do hvac for a living and I'm not to concerned about breakdowns.

Good Luck with your decision

sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote