Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

What is going on with my furnace?

About a month ago, we noticed that our furnace did not turn on in the morning. We have it set to 64 at night and then to 69 for 6AM. Our HVAC guy came out and said that by trying to turn it off and on several times, it got locked out. Turning off the main and turning it back on seemed to reset it and fix the problem.. He then cleaned the unit.

The problem has returned. I called the HVAC guy and the head guy came out. Unfortunately, what would happen is that at about 9AM, the unit turns back on by itself and runs the rest of the day. This week, it has happened every day since Monday. Same thing. Does not come one, and then by 3 hours after it is programmed to turn on, it finally kicks in. On Monday, he changed the thermostat. Yesterday, same thing, but this time, I videoed the error code on the furnace and he was able to determine that there was a problem with the flame sensor. So, he cleaned it. Today, same thing. THe error code appears different, a short flash followed by 3 long flashes. Furnace just kicked on by itself again. Something is causing it to lock out and then allows it to come back on. Very frustrating

Any ideas?

Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

You need a new hvac guy. They are the ones that should be doing the troubleshooting if you call them. He sounds like he's just throwing darts, clean this, replace that, clean this, reset that, without really troubleshooting to find the problem.

SuperJETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #3

I appreciate the suggestion, but have to say, in their defense, that this problem is like going to the doctor with a complaint and when you get there, the problem goes away. I have the technician's cell number, can call at 6AM and they have not charged me for anything other than the initial visit. I have had other services that have jacked me around, and I do not think these people are. It is just furstrating and I am looking for answers on my own for my own curiosity and information
Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

What year/brand of unit? My lennox was doing the exact same thing. Ended up being control board. Never been running better!
mlijoi is offline   Reply With Quote