Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What does this sound mean?

Hi Everyone-
I'm trying to figure out what this noise is that has recently started on my furnace when it starts up. This video is of the motor, I'm wondering if it is just a bearing or if I need to worry about replacing the entire motor? Thanks in advance for any insight.

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/k...rrent=HVAC.mp4

merrion13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,022

time to replace the inducer assembly!!!!!!!!! before you do have the heat exchanger checked by a pro.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,356

yes time to replace inducer motor looks like a tempstar or heil furnace. another good point about checking heat exchanger these units had rings holding crimped exchanger togeother that failed resulting in failure of heat exchanger in fact there might have been a recall

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 10-31-2011 at 11:11 PM.
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #4

Hvactech and ben, thanks for the reply. The unit is a Comfortmaker furnace; time to get someone out here as it is beginning to get pretty chilly outside.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

something is rubbing there what does it sound like when you free spin it either way...remove it check that squirrel cage and the lock down ring holding the squirrel cage might have shifted
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #6

There is a rubbing sound if I free spin the wheel, almost sounds like a blade on the metal fan is rubbing on something. Do you have a link to any image or website that would illustrate how I can get in there and take it apart?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #7

3 screws should hold the motor and squirrel so the fan housing stays in place so you'll have the motor and squirrel in hand there is an allen key or locking ring pinching the squirrel to shaft might need to pull it up a bit on the shaft eye ball it..spin it both ways so you know its not the bearings
Old 11-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

FYI

A couple lessons learned...

Yesterday our furnace started to emit a grinding noise that was rapidly getting worse. With cold weather forecast of -15C the next day and a trip planned, I called in a mechanical company last night. This morning they had the part and replaced it (the inducer motor / blower). The unit cost $697.00!!!

Total bill with tax was $908.00.

(This included $99 for furnace cleaning which was really dirty due to years without cleaning and loads of very recent drywall dust and a $69 service fee.)

Now, I can't find the part number on the internet but most inducer motors are around $200 and a couple that look like the one I had replaced are closer to $350. I paid $700 so 100% parts markup maybe? is this common?

So, lessons learned... one, I've learned the value of making sure the inside of these new and complex mid-high efficiency furnaces need to be kept extra clean!

Two, I've learned that I'd better anticipate the next repair and possibly have a part(s) on hand to deal with it. Spending a few hundred on a few spare parts is a lot cheaper than $800 in calling in a repair guy.

Note, the repair guy was great and really tried to drive home the point that I should open up the front and regularly clean it myself and spray a bit of lubricant on the blower assembly before it fails - to save my self a lot of money and calling them back again. Quite honourable of him!

Too bad though that his company marks up parts 100 or 200%!

Note: It's a United Technologies Tempstar furnace with a Jakel Inc labelled variable speed inducer motor. What bothers me even further is that it's maybe a $1.00 bearing inside that failed. It's an insane world where we have to spend even $200 on such parts!!!

Last edited by KinNorth; 11-16-2011 at 02:08 PM.
KinNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinNorth View Post
FYI

Yesterday our furnace started to emit a grinding noise that was rapidly getting worse. With cold weather forecast of -15C the next day and a trip planned, I called in a mechanical company last night. This morning they had the part and replaced it (the inducer motor / blower). The unit cost $697.00!!!

(This included $99 for furnace cleaning which was really dirty due to years without cleaning and loads of very recent drywall dust and a $69 service fee.)

Now, I can't find the part number on the internet but most inducer motors are around $200 and a couple that look like the one I had replaced are closer to $350. I paid $700 so 100% parts markup maybe? is this common?

So, lessons learned... one, I've learned the value of making sure the inside of these new and complex mid-high efficiency furnaces need to be kept extra clean!

Two, I've learned that I'd better anticipate the next repair and possibly have a part(s) on hand to deal with it. Spending a few hundred on a few spare parts is a lot cheaper than $800 in calling in a repair guy.

Note, the repair guy was great and really tried to drive home the point that I should open up the front and regularly clean it myself and spray a bit of lubricant on the blower assembly before it fails - to save my self a lot of money and calling them back again. Quite honourable of him!

Note: It's a United Technologies Tempstar furnace with a Jakel Inc labelled variable speed inducer motor. What bothers me even further is that it's maybe a $1.00 bearing inside that failed. It's an insane world where we have to spend even $200 on such parts!!!
Kin,

Please let me try to explain why you have to pay such a high mark up on furnace parts. When we stock our trucks we stock seasonal goods, so depending on what the weather is, that dictates what we have to buy and when we buy it. When we purchase these goods we have to make these purchases in bulk to get the best pricing possible, sometimes that means we would have to purchase a entire pallet of something, even though we may only anticipate needing a few.

Next we have to have a building large enough to store all of these goods,on hand as needed. We may stock over 100 items for our service department alone, not to mention our installer side. Having all of these parts on hand wont do us a bit of good if don't have well trained technicians to sell and install them. On average a well trained technician can make up wards of $60 k , his 4 years of training is valued at tens of thousands of dollars. The truck he drives around in cost $24 K and the contents of it are easily over $100 k not counting his tools.

To insure a van, driver, contents and tools is $200 a month. I have just scratched the surface on what it cost a company to be prepared when a customer calls with a problem at all hours. I am sorry that you furnace broke down..........I hope you are more understanding of what we do and pay up front so that we can take care of you when you need us most.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harleyrider For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (11-16-2011), Technow (11-16-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 294

Quote:
FYI

Step back and think more about how that part got to your house and installed by someone knowledgeable and now has a warranty.

1. I am in the states, and the IRS rate is .555/mile and the govt. is extremely conservative..... so when you are driving watch the odometer spin. AND...that part had to be picked up and delivered by......

2. Someone making a wage. the guy in that truck makes a wage whether he is picking up your part or installing it. AND......

3. That guy has certifications he has to maintain and training to attend....all the while he wants to be paid! and the company to pay for the class!....imagine that. AND.....

4. Then that guy wants benefits!!! How rude, he should just go to your house and you make him a peanut butter sandwich. AND....

The list goes on and on, someone came up with a full list and it's a couple of pages long of all the expenses it takes to put a $20,000 truck with $$$ inventory and tools in your driveway.

If you want to DIY, do it, but don't complain about the price to cover all these costs.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Technow For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (11-16-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #11

Quote:
A bulb for my short wave radio burned out and the manufacturer wanted $32 but the receptionist who answered the phone unwittingly told me the bulb specs so I got an equivalent bulb for 32 cents.

At least one person on this forum got a motor from Grainger for $50 that less knowledgeable and more risk-averse people would have paid $400 for.

I paid $130 several years ago for my inducer motor. I could have built a new one for $20 in parts, it's just a small shaded pole motor.

If you know what you're doing you can save a bundle. For some of these prices you could take an HVAC course at a community college and still come out ahead.

I just spent 7 hours troubleshooting and fixing my ancient furnace; riding on this adventure was $3K or so for a new furnace.
In my case the parts cost was zero; it was a corroded connection on the control board, plus the air handler motor needed oiling.

And there is no definition for price gouging. You can only get bids, throw out the low and high ones and debate the center values.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 11-16-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #12

it's not brain surgery if you put the effort into the problem and search and ask questions...you save a ton and feel great you kept that service truck out of your driveway..if you stand back and throw your hand up saying forget it i'm not touching this thing you deserve to get raked..putting it lightly and always realize as a home owner the techs in the field have to learn someplace and a home owners basement floor is the best place cause they have no idea what i'm doing ....and neither do I
Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,742

I just ignore my customers whining and complaining about how much they think the part is worth or what they read on the internet. The garage man couldn't care less about what I think about the price, bring the next car in and get out is their attitude. Try walk into Dominos pizza with your $2 of pizza fixins and have them bake you one and see if they will sell it to you for $6 and eat it in their restaurant. NOT likely. They want $20 for that $2 pizza and there ain't nothin you can do about it.

HVAC service is no different.

Last edited by yuri; 11-16-2011 at 06:50 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 162

[QUOTE=biggles;772813 a home owners basement floor is the best place cause they have no idea what i'm doing ....and neither do I [/QUOTE]

newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
A bulb for my short wave radio burned out and the manufacturer wanted $32 but the receptionist who answered the phone unwittingly told me the bulb specs so I got an equivalent bulb for 32 cents.

At least one person on this forum got a motor from Grainger for $50 that less knowledgeable and more risk-averse people would have paid $400 for.

I paid $130 several years ago for my inducer motor. I could have built a new one for $20 in parts, it's just a small shaded pole motor.

If you know what you're doing you can save a bundle. For some of these prices you could take an HVAC course at a community college and still come out ahead.

I just spent 7 hours troubleshooting and fixing my ancient furnace; riding on this adventure was $3K or so for a new furnace.
In my case the parts cost was zero; it was a corroded connection on the control board, plus the air handler motor needed oiling.

And there is no definition for price gouging. You can only get bids, throw out the low and high ones and debate the center values.

Didn't you just get ----- in the Elec. Forums??

newtech is offline   Reply With Quote