DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What do you consider a good vs bad furnace installation?

735 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BayouRunner 
#1 ·
Aside of all the jcalc etc... I'm interested in what to look for in a bad furnace installation?

I mean if someone is replacing an existing furnace with another, as long as it fits and secure, all seams are sealed that's good right?

Due to the requirement of lifting the 100+ lbs furnace into place I'll be paying someone to do it but just want to know what to look for whenever I watch them do the installation.

#2 ·
I mean if someone is replacing an existing furnace with another, as long as it fits and secure, all seams are sealed that's good right?
Nope, there's so much that can be screwed up and it's mostly invisible to the average user.

Things from improperly sloped exhaust/intake pipes, to undersized filter, to poor duct transitions, oversizing, unsafe gas line (flex into cabinet), improper setup (fan speed/gas pressure), incorrectly sized or no chimney liner, plus much more.

A furnace can be improperly setup and seem to heat fine, but overheat and cycle off limit, crack the heat exchanger after 5 years or less.

A water heater can seem to heat water fine, venting into a unlined chimney (going from 80% or less efficient furnace to 90% that doesn't use the chimney) - chimney damage could take years to become apparent.

Reactions: Bud9051
#6 ·
Friends and family, coworkers are all good sources. If you here a certain companies name a few times that would be a good start. Ask about their recent jobs, maybe you could look at one. That's kind of iffy, but it can't hurt to ask. A lot of homeowners will be glad to show you. Keep in mind every install is different. Some have more room, some have none. If I get a changeout in a short attic I add $500 more to the bid. There are no more materials but it takes so much longer to do the job. Sometimes there is just one transition, sometimes a few. A supply may be better off being replaced than just trying to make it work. If you have any problems or concerns with you old system, talk to your contractor before the job starts. Nobody wants an unhappy customer, communication will make you both happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.