Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #1

Share |

what is the differnce between a 35/5mfd 440 vac dual run capacitor and a 40/5 440 and does anyone have the wiring diagram.

What is the difference between a 35/5mfd 440 vac dual run capacitor and a 40/5 440 and does anyone have the wiring diagram. Mine has a blue wire on fan, Orange on C, and red on Herm, but I also have a yellow wire ,that in removal, of the old part, the yellow wire came off and i'm not sure which one it was connected to, because there was electrical tape covering it. Right now the unit is shut down until i Get the proper wiring diagram. I don't want to mess up my unit.

Last edited by Neece; 10-26-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Neece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #2

what is the differnce between a 35/5mfd 440 vac dual run capacitor and a 40/5 440 and does anyone have the wiring diagram.

Capacitor don't have wiring diagrams but AC's do. Any chance we can get a hint on which one of the thousands of AC brands/models built that you have. Sorry just being a joker. Brand and model number will be needed though to get an answer. BTW I wouldn't put the wrong size capacitor in. What it came with is what you want to buy.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #3

the one that was on there was a gemtech 35/5 x 440vac and the new one is a smart electric but is a 40/5 x 440 vac.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Electrician

The difference between a 35/5mfd capacitor and a 40/5mfd is 5 microfarads on the compressor side of a dual capacitor. The larger number is the rating for the compressor to use and the smaller is for the cooling fan. The difference of 5mfd for the compressor (between your old cap and the new one) is small. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm not telling you what you should do. If you want to put in a 35/5 like your original, that's fine...but the 40/5 should work until you do replace it.

Did you look inside the access cover for a wiring diagram? Usually there is one, which should show you where that yellow wire you mentioned goes.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #5

There is a rule for sizing capacitors and it is called the Rule Of Twenty.

You don't exceed 20% of the original cap micro farad rating.
Neece (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
The difference between a 35/5mfd capacitor and a 40/5mfd is 5 microfarads on the compressor side of a dual capacitor. The larger number is the rating for the compressor to use and the smaller is for the cooling fan. The difference of 5mfd for the compressor (between your old cap and the new one) is small. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm not telling you what you should do. If you want to put in a 35/5 like your original, that's fine...but the 40/5 should work until you do replace it.

Did you look inside the access cover for a wiring diagram? Usually there is one, which should show you where that yellow wire you mentioned goes.
I didn't look inside the access cover but I will. Thanks, I sure do appreciate it.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #7

[quote=Neece;524537]I didn't look inside the access cover but I will. Thanks, I sure do appreciate it.