What Could Be Wrong With My New A/C System - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

What could be wrong with my new A/C System

On Sat I had a new Goodman 2ton 13 seer unit installed after having been without AC since Wed morning. Temps were in upper 90's all this time. The unit is a GSX130241 and he Evap Coil is a CAUF1824A6 by Goodman as well. The orifice was swapped out from the factory 59 to a 57. I asked the tech why and he said so it would match the condenser outdoors which makes sense.

After the unit was installed the tech didn't hook his gauges up as he stated it was so hot in my house that it wouldn't be possible to get the most correct reading being the house had been hot so long.This kind of made sense. No freon was added except the factory charge and the line set was less than 20feet if I had to guess.

Since the install I've noticed a few things. From Sat morning to Sun it wouldn't pull all the way down to 71 even overnight it didn't which I think is rather odd. It was 87 on Sat when the system was turned on and it got down to 73 Sun early morning and slowly rose back to 78 yesterday with the blinds shut in the house. Wife went to cook dinner last night and using the oven it went to 81.

About 10pm last night I shut the system down and upgraded the wiring from 12 to 10 gauge and increased the circuit breaker size which is something I had planned to do from the beginning as the new system has a 30amp max HACR circuit breaker type rating as opposed to the old with a 20amp. I tried calling the AC tech yesterday as I have his work cell number but he never answered and never returned my call either as of this time today.

Is there something that I need to watch for or ask the HVAC company? The outside temp is down to 80 so the unit finally pulled down from 81 last night down to 71 this am and finally shut off for once. It just seems as if the temp steadily climbed yesterday and I'm just worried that the next hot day will bring the same and then I'll get rused into paying for a service call or does Goodman warranty the unit for the first year should any issues arise.

I did check the incoming temp yesterday from the return air duct and it was 70 right before the air filter which is just to the left of the blower motor. The output was 60 just 2 ft above the evap coil.
Late last night after I'd had the unit off the return air temp was 70 and the supply temp was 54. This of course a few hours after dark so i don't know if this made a difference or not. The temps a minute ago were 68 on return and 52 on the supply. Being that the wire size was 12 gauge then changed to 10gauge make a difference or not? I posted a thread with the specs for the unit in this thread, http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/trying-determine-what-size-hacr-circuit-breaker-i-need-151076/

I do want to state the evap coil has a hiss coming from it and the tech said it was normal. It's a aluminum evap coil. I know the factory air seal was intact when he installed it as it hissed when he broke the seal per the installation instructions which I did read and don't see that he did anything different than the installation.

The tech has always been more than willing to answer questions in the past and don't seem shady. I've used this tech a few weeks back when I had a mysterious leak that had been filled once by another company and I had the company he works for come out and he filled it after checking everything for a leak with a leak detector. The unit was 12yrs old and I didn't want to pay the labor for them to chase the leak down again as I'd had it filled twice at $137 and $147 the 2nd time.

I figured I'd cut my losses since the R22 freon was expensive as well. I still have the old unit they pulled and for sale here locally minus the line set and evap coil which was pulled from the house also during the install.

Advertisement

dtnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
jkv

Rewards Points: 75

He still should have put gages on and charge the unit, you need to let the company know and tell then to come back out and fix this problem at their expense, why did they change line set? You cant go by factory charge it will not work.

Advertisement

jkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Sounds like improper charge, but that's hard to say without knowing a lot more about the job.

Instead of calling the tech directly, call the office and speak with them.
They can send someone else out to troubleshoot. In many cases, the install crews are not the best ones to use for troubleshooting.

Goodman warranties the components in the system, but they don't warranty anything regarding installation and such, or whether the system is large enough for the house. They also do NOT provide any labor warranties. Those are provided by the installing contractor.

No, wire size will make no difference in cooling performance.
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnel View Post
On Sat I had a new Goodman 2ton 13 seer unit installed after having been without AC since Wed morning. Temps were in upper 90's all this time. The unit is a GSX130241 and he Evap Coil is a CAUF1824A6 by Goodman as well. The orifice was swapped out from the factory 59 to a 57. I asked the tech why and he said so it would match the condenser outdoors which makes sense.

After the unit was installed the tech didn't hook his gauges up as he stated it was so hot in my house that it wouldn't be possible to get the most correct reading being the house had been hot so long.This kind of made sense. No freon was added except the factory charge and the line set was less than 20feet if I had to guess.

Since the install I've noticed a few things. From Sat morning to Sun it wouldn't pull all the way down to 71 even overnight it didn't which I think is rather odd. It was 87 on Sat when the system was turned on and it got down to 73 Sun early morning and slowly rose back to 78 yesterday with the blinds shut in the house. Wife went to cook dinner last night and using the oven it went to 81.

About 10pm last night I shut the system down and upgraded the wiring from 12 to 10 gauge and increased the circuit breaker size which is something I had planned to do from the beginning as the new system has a 30amp max HACR circuit breaker type rating as opposed to the old with a 20amp. I tried calling the AC tech yesterday as I have his work cell number but he never answered and never returned my call either as of this time today.

Is there something that I need to watch for or ask the HVAC company? The outside temp is down to 80 so the unit finally pulled down from 81 last night down to 71 this am and finally shut off for once. It just seems as if the temp steadily climbed yesterday and I'm just worried that the next hot day will bring the same and then I'll get rused into paying for a service call or does Goodman warranty the unit for the first year should any issues arise.

I did check the incoming temp yesterday from the return air duct and it was 70 right before the air filter which is just to the left of the blower motor. The output was 60 just 2 ft above the evap coil.
Late last night after I'd had the unit off the return air temp was 70 and the supply temp was 54. This of course a few hours after dark so i don't know if this made a difference or not. The temps a minute ago were 68 on return and 52 on the supply. Being that the wire size was 12 gauge then changed to 10gauge make a difference or not? I posted a thread with the specs for the unit in this thread, http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/trying-determine-what-size-hacr-circuit-breaker-i-need-151076/

I do want to state the evap coil has a hiss coming from it and the tech said it was normal. It's a aluminum evap coil. I know the factory air seal was intact when he installed it as it hissed when he broke the seal per the installation instructions which I did read and don't see that he did anything different than the installation.

The tech has always been more than willing to answer questions in the past and don't seem shady. I've used this tech a few weeks back when I had a mysterious leak that had been filled once by another company and I had the company he works for come out and he filled it after checking everything for a leak with a leak detector. The unit was 12yrs old and I didn't want to pay the labor for them to chase the leak down again as I'd had it filled twice at $137 and $147 the 2nd time.

I figured I'd cut my losses since the R22 freon was expensive as well. I still have the old unit they pulled and for sale here locally minus the line set and evap coil which was pulled from the house also during the install.
my guess is going to be incorrect charge....he should have put guages on system no matter what....call them back...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

need 18F drop on that coil nd 10F outside on the amient and the air blowing in your face....he need to put guages on the system and that is BS about the house being to hot that is the best time to start up a system with a load on the evap coil.i'v done commercial start ups with 75 ton rooftops and construction spaces 90F and banged that temp down in 4 hours with water pouring out of the condensate pipes...get him back..keeping the direct sun off the floor walls and furniture are key to keeping the unit heat load down...when it cools down out side you should do any set point during the night,if you cann't forget it during the day with the sun banging that condenser
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Spoke with the tech and he's going to be by this evening or in the am. The guy has been very helpful last week when he was helping me troubleshoot the system checking the capacitor on my old system along with the pressures on the old R22 system. I kind of looked at the cost of troubleshooting the leak for a 3rd time by the 2nd HVAC company, possible evap coil replacement and decided based on what the costs were and as old as the system was that I'd just upgrade as well.

There's other factors figured in as well such as me being disabled and I looked at how much it may cost in the future for say 5-10yrs down the road with inflation. If the last 12 yrs were used as a predictor then in 10 yrs the unit would be double in price. I do change my filters every 3 months like a religion and it showed. I saw the old evap coil when it was pulled out and for being 12 yrs old it was pretty darn clean in my opinion compared to other coils I've seen on friends equipment when helping them light troubleshoot in the past for small issues they've had.

I'm the all around handy guy that my friends call on general knowledge stuff. Funny thing is I've learned all of this on my own through the years and it seems people are amazed that a person can change a filter on their own. I just call it taking care of what you have and it'll take care of you long term.

I'll definitely call the guy up if he don't come by tomorrow. It's 95-98 outside and the AC has went from 71 up to 74 which it seems to be holding upstairs. When I spoke with the tech he did agree that he needs to hook the gauges up and assured me he'd be by. I'm just concerned that my electric bill Ill be through the roof with the compressor running all the time.

Another question one of you may be able to answer is I noticed this Condenser has a scroll compressor. What's the difference and what should I expect performance wise in the compressor and AC unit compared to the Gibson that was in there? I still have the Gibson furnace as it looked like new when I looked at the piping used for heating, the flue if I recollect properly? What's the cooling difference between R22 and R410A which my new system has as well?
dtnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

R-22 ran 275/65PSI and the R410A runs 800PSI on the condenser the temp at the air handler is still 40F after liquid expands
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
R-22 ran 275/65PSI and the R410A runs 800PSI on the condenser the temp at the air handler is still 40F after liquid expands

R401A does not run at 800 PSIG.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
say what..
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
say what..
oh boy
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 828

Mean while, I need a blanket here in my office.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
R410A runs 800PSI on the condenser the temp at the air handler is still 40F after liquid expands
ya gotta be kidding ...
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
jkv

Rewards Points: 75

800 psi wow!! Try 390-400 psi
jkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

800 PSI gauge

Advertisement

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote