Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Share |

What is this condensation?

The line that runs between the interior and exterior components of my HVAC system has been sweating for a few months. It seems that the problem is getting worse, even as the outdoor temperatures start to climb down from the summer heat.

The problem is most noticeable nearest the interior component (where the filter and return vent are located), at the black/foam insulated line:

This blue component is drenched:

Some of the insulated line a few feet away from here shows signs of excess condensation:

This is the first season this unit has started to "sweat" like this. Water fills a small container I placed under the blue unit above. I figure some units condense a small amount, but this seems unusual.

What could be going on to cause the system to condense this much? It is a 2-year old Goodman 1.5 ton exterior unit (compressor I think its called), and a 3-year old interior unit (heat pump, I think).
sheslostcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

The line might be freezing (low refrigerant or low air flow). That suction line drier should have been placed out at the condensing unit, it will get cold a sweat in a humid basement. You can wrap it with foam tape to stop it from condensating.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

High humidity in the basement. Its not unusual for the vapor line filter drier(blue thing) to sweat.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #4

have you replaced the compressor before? if YES, it's a good idea to remove the suction line filter drier now....which should have been removed long time ago

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
have you replaced the compressor before? if YES, it's a good idea to remove the suction line filter drier now....which should have been removed long time ago
The compressor was replaced when I bought the house 2 years ago. Someone broken before that and stole all the copper, so everything from the (heat pump?) to the outside is new. I think they also replaced something inside the heat pump as it was damaged from the copper thief.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
High humidity in the basement. Its not unusual for the vapor line filter drier(blue thing) to sweat.
Basement runs about 70-90% humidity. When the original crawl space was poured (possibly during the 1940s) no vapor barrier was used. I'm in process of taking up the old floor and will repour with a proper 10 mil vapor barrier (and drainage to sump, which also didn't exist).

It's going to be humid down there for the immediate future. Tried using a dehumidifier, but that only brought the humidity down about 20%. I have a high power vent fan that runs constantly, too.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

is the vent fan bringing in fresh air? What size was the portable dehumidifier.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
is the vent fan bringing in fresh air? What size was the portable dehumidifier.
It's pushing air out. Unsure of the old dehumidifier size, not sure how they are measured. It was about 2' tall, 14" deep, and 10" wide.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

If its pushing air out, then air has to be pulled in from somewhere else. Most likely from outside.

Physical size doesn't tell what pint size it was.