Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

What brand of furnaces do you work on? R u brand specific?

Do you guys generally work on your own promoted brands of furnaces exclusively these days given that many newer make furnaces seem to have proprietary parts now or do you service all makes and models?

One tech I spoke with said years ago, he would carry standard parts in his truck and be able to service most furnaces out of his truck but with the newer design setups, you have to diagnose and then source proprietary parts to do a second service call.

Do most brands all work the same but just not allowing interchangeable components? My point is should I only call a Lennox approved tech for my Lennox or brand X?

The other consideration is if I find a good tech that I trust but I want a brand of furnace that has features i want but that he does not promote, would he still be ideal to do the install?

Liberator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,442

I will work on anything other than a Rheem/Ruud mod. totally different than any other unit as it uses varying voltages to the gas valve and their special varying voltage tstat and U need their hidden tech info etc. It is best to stay with the brand the installer recommends as he can set it up properly. Other than the mods most guys should be able to fix most other brands. Getting the service manual and info is usually the big problem.

ben's plumbing (01-25-2012), harleyrider (01-25-2012), Technow (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rewards Points: 500

It all comes down what you want to spend. Do you want a high end a/c and high end furnace. Then you look who has better warranty plan. Then you look and see you has a better rebate going on at the time of replacement. Then you want to check B.B.B. who in your area had outstanding rating. Then look into that company and see what offer like warranty them self. Some company will offer to the warranty . Sorry this should be on top but if you are looking to live were you are now. Just put in 80% and 13 seer a/c. But you planning living there more then 10 years then look into the high seer a/c is offer and 90% (or higher) so you see the unit paying it self off. That would be me if I was you. Good luck happy hunting .
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 284

I chose my local brand after being in business for 15 years. Brand A,B,C has no parts support, their warranty policies suck, however, brand D-warranty is good(and I am not talking about consumer warranty-DOA) and it's all local.

Back when I started I would put any manufacturer you wanted in your house. Today...I know who is going to support me as a business and If you want a Trane, Rheem, Ruud, Goodman, American Standard or any other brand that is not well supported in this area...good bye....Other than parts I am not going to deal with them. Especially Trane who thinks their stuff is gold plated.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Part of the Clover Leaf

I'd like to deal Trane, but I am not sure the powers that be (Uncle)would allow it.

So I push my second fav which is Gibson,Frigidaire, and Westinghouse.

They are well designed but not as quiet as some of the others.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
HVAC Tech/Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
I'd like to deal Trane, but I am not sure the powers that be (Uncle)would allow it.

So I push my second fav which is Gibson,Frigidaire, and Westinghouse.

They are well designed but not as quiet as some of the others.
If uncle hvaclover had the same experience I had talking to the local trane distributor in 2004 that I had.....
Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
If uncle hvaclover had the same experience I had talking to the local trane distributor in 2004 that I had.....
LOL uncle Clover was doing good numbers and the Trane rep, according to Uncle, acted like "His poop don't stink". Uncle don't play that and pushed him out the door.
That's why Uncle has it in for some of the larger mfg.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
HVAC Tech/Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
LOL uncle Clover was doing good numbers and the Trane rep, according to Uncle, acted like "His poop don't stink". Uncle don't play that and pushed him out the door.
That's why Uncle has it in for some of the larger mfg.
Same here....however, Carrier/Bryant in my area stands behind their dealers here....large or small... I hate to this very day i had to go to the Trane office to learn "their poop don't stink" and I will never...ever....recommend their junk beyond what I need to take care of my service customers.