Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #1

Share |

what is best furnace filter to buy?

I currently have a metal furnace filter and have used it for the last 5 yrs. Should I stick with it or switch to a Filtrete High Performance Filter?

My local Sam's has these.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...rnace%20filter

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Filters except 3m are rated in MERV (google that for more info). The higher the merv the more air is restricted and the harder it is for your furnace fan to move it. This can result in an overheated and damaged furnace or frozen and damaged AC. Only way to know for sure is to try it and check the temp rise thru the furnace after is has run for 5 minutes. Stick a thermometer in the supply duct downstream a foot away from the plenum and subtract the house temp from it and check the temp rise specs on the model # sticker inside the furnace. ie:35-65degF. I recommend a Merv 8 filter and unless you have a newer furnace with an ECM motor and large ductwork you can have problems with the more restrictive types. AC needs checking by a Pro to see if it has enough airflow.

http://www.furnacefiltercare.com/merv-ratings.php

Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri
Filters except 3m are rated in MERV (google that for more info). The higher the merv the more air is restricted and the harder it is for your furnace fan to move it. This can result in an overheated and damaged furnace or frozen and damaged AC. Only way to know for sure is to try it and check the temp rise thru the furnace after is has run for 5 minutes. Stick a thermometer in the supply duct downstream a foot away from the plenum and subtract the house temp from it and check the temp rise specs on the model # sticker inside the furnace. ie:35-65degF. I recommend a Merv 8 filter and unless you have a newer furnace with an ECM motor and large ductwork you can have problems with the more restrictive types. AC needs checking by a Pro to see if it has enough airflow.

http://www.furnacefiltercare.com/merv-ratings.php
But would you stick to a metal or paper filter overall?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Post a pic of the metal filter. IMO none of them and the so called "electrostatic" membrane ones are worth a darn. MOST people don't clean them properly and they tend to gum up and plug up internally with scum. I have seen lots of frozen and damaged ACs from those filters not been cleaned properly and I don't recommend them at all. The pleated MERV filters are guaranteed/rated to do what they are supposed to vs. the "buy guess and by golly" aspect of those other filters. For under $20 for a 3 pack of Merv 7-8s how can you go wrong. ACs and furnaces are over $4000 so the price of the filter is hardly an issue IMO.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Post a pic of the metal filter. IMO none of them and the so called "electrostatic" membrane ones are worth a darn. MOST people don't clean them properly and they tend to gum up and plug up internally with scum. I have seen lots of frozen and damaged ACs from those filters not been cleaned properly and I don't recommend them at all. The pleated MERV filters are guaranteed/rated to do what they are supposed to vs. the "buy guess and by golly" aspect of those other filters. For under $20 for a 3 pack of Merv 7-8s how can you go wrong. ACs and furnaces are over $4000 so the price of the filter is hardly an issue IMO.
My furnace was installed when the home was built. 1997.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
I found these at Sam's Club. What do you think?

Filtrete

Allergen reduction filter
1200 performance rating
Lasts up to 3 months
Approved by the American Lung Association
2 twin packs
Old 02-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
I found these at Sam's Club. What do you think?

Filtrete

Allergen reduction filter
1200 performance rating Equal to a MERV 12
Lasts up to 3 months
Approved by the American Lung Association
2 twin packs
You may experience problems with that one

Mark
Old 02-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1

You may experience problems with that one

Mark
Why is that
Old 02-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Experienced

Yuri mentioned it already, you could try it, but be weary that you cause flame rollout, higher temp rise through heat exchanger than max design and AC "A" coil freezing in the summer.

Basically the better the filter the higher the resistance the higher the resistance the less air flow.

Go ahead try em, if they work for ya then cool, I would check the temp rise as a min, just to make sure you aren't cause heat exchanger problems.

Mark
Old 02-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Yuri mentioned it already, you could try it, but be weary that you cause flame rollout, higher temp rise through heat exchanger than max design and AC "A" coil freezing in the summer.

Basically the better the filter the higher the resistance the higher the resistance the less air flow.

Go ahead try em, if they work for ya then cool, I would check the temp rise as a min, just to make sure you aren't cause heat exchanger problems.

Mark
Where did you find a 3 pack for under $20?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
Where did you find a 3 pack for under $20?
I didn't I believe what Yuri was getting at was, the filters you can use without fear of causing problems with your systems sell for about $20 for a 3-pack.

It would be like the Filtrete with a rating of 1000, I believe.

Mark
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:

I didn't I believe what Yuri was getting at was, the filters you can use without fear of causing problems with your systems sell for about $20 for a 3-pack.

It would be like the Filtrete with a rating of 1000, I believe.

Mark
The ones I found have a 1200 rating.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
Chicago, IL

If you use a HVAC contractor who is into "measured performance" and actually checks pressures, they will generally find that ANY of the high MERV filters are creating excessive pressure on the return side and a reduced air flow across the heat exchanger / A-Coil to the point where system efficiency is significantly reduced.

One clue that this is occurring is "oil canning" of the ducting - when the blower comes on sides of plenum are bent inwards, and then pop back out, - often with an easily audible sound - when the blower goes off.

When I see that (unless it's because the return side of the systems his horribly mis sized) I know I will find either a badly obstructed (dirty) filter, or one of the high MERV types.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas
If you use a HVAC contractor who is into "measured performance" and actually checks pressures, they will generally find that ANY of the high MERV filters are creating excessive pressure on the return side and a reduced air flow across the heat exchanger / A-Coil to the point where system efficiency is significantly reduced.

One clue that this is occurring is "oil canning" of the ducting - when the blower comes on sides of plenum are bent inwards, and then pop back out, - often with an easily audible sound - when the blower goes off.

When I see that (unless it's because the return side of the systems his horribly mis sized) I know I will find either a badly obstructed (dirty) filter, or one of the high MERV types.
So I should stick to a 1000 rating instead of 1,200?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #15
Experienced

In a nut shell, yes

Mark