Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #1

Share |

what is the angled sheet metal in front of my wall registers?

I'm currently remodeling my house that was built in 1978. When I pulled the carpet up I noticed these angled sheet metal plates nailed to the subfloor in front of the wall stack registers/vents. I did some research online and at a local supply store. Online I found that they were called kick plates, I'm assuming to protect the sheet metal stack in case someone accidentally kicks the sheet rock in front of the stack, it won't crush the metal stack. A guy at the local supply store told me the were called rat plates or something like that, don't have any idea why he called them that. My concern is this, they were nailed down with the wide part (4-5 inches wide) on the floor and the narrow part (1 inch wide) against the wall. Wouldn't it be more effective and offer more protection if they were nailed with the narrow part on the floor and the wide part against the wall in front of the sheet metal stack. I just want to make sure they are installed to offer the most protection. Help please!!!!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
what is the angled sheet metal in front of my wall registers?-photo-1.jpg   what is the angled sheet metal in front of my wall registers?-photo-3.jpg   what is the angled sheet metal in front of my wall registers?-photo-4.jpg  
aboynamedmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

It looks like a home made nail plate. When a 2 x 4 or a 2 x 6 is cut you compremise the integrity of the wood and thus put a nail plate across the cut. That and yes, it protects whatever is behind it.
aboynamedmoose (01-29-2012), plummen (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #3

I'm assuming the thin sheet metal that this plate is made of wouldn't really offer a whole lot of strength though huh? I've seen the simpson brand nail plates at home depot that are made to span the cut away floor plate, but they are 16 gauge steel, mine are just flimsy HVAC type sheet metal.
aboynamedmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #4

Probably just a stiffener used for drywall backing since the plate is cut out.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote