Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

What is an acceptable way to fasten this drain pipe?

I want to add a drain pipe for my humidifier with a ball valve so I can manually drain it once in a while to clean it up, I'll be using 3/4 copper. What is the best way to fasten the pipe, can I just use self taping screws right into the furnace chassis? (lower, blower compartment section) Seems kind of dirty to do that though... Another option, can I build a small wall there, like maybe a foot high, and fasten it to that? It needs to be secure enough so I can turn the valve without the whole thing wanting to move.
Attached Thumbnails
What is an acceptable way to fasten this drain pipe?-img_20130227_015304.jpg  

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,698

Yep, clamps and screws.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,020

Why dont you just hammer drill a new drain hole through the basement floor straight down, and drain it there? As long as your floor is poured over clean stone the water will perc down with no problem. I have my condensate lines from my HE furnace run like this and have not had problem one. I just pour a little bleach down there from time to time.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I'd be pretty hesitant to drain water under my foundation, especially since I've spent thousands of dollars having a drain installed around my foundation specifically to keep water from getting underneath. If there's a drain close by I'd just run the pipe there as you've shown. And screwing to the furnace shouldn't be a problem, but I'd recommend taking the cover off & making sure there isn't anything where you'll be adding screws.

However the bigger question I have is why put a ball valve on the drain? In order to clean the line you're going to have to shut the humidifier down anyway. If you attempt to shut down your valve and clean the drain without shutting off the humidifier it's just going to back up & overflow out of the humidifier. Once the humidifier is off water should stop coming out of the drain & the valve won't be doing anything.

Maybe I'm missing something but I've worked on quite a few humidifiers & have never seen a shut off on the drain.
JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

I just installed a drain nearby, so I rather run it to that. It will be joining in with the furnace condensate.

Never thought of just screwing it straight down though, I might do that. I will be installing dricore but I'll probably want to leave a bit of a space around the furnace and water tank area anyway in case one of these appliances ever needs to be replaced and is not the exact same size.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote